quail eggs

jadude

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
sc
How do you keep quails for eggs?
Sorry for such a broad question but I saw some in the store and I wanted to raise some myself. How many do they produce and is it dificult.
Thanks

Quail are very easy to raise, we built a quail pen on the side of one of our poultry houses.

quailpen.jpg

Steve in NC

Coturnix are thebest quail for egg production and meat production.

You can get a cheap/free rabbit hutch and keep upwards of 30-50 in there depending onthe size of it. OR make a really nice set up like Steve above has!
smile.png
OR hanging wire cages in a building (like a rabbitry set up) works well as well. Pretty much anything you can imagine.

Good feed (nonmedicated game bird feed perferably). They need high protien.

Theres really not much to it to raise them. Pretty easy and fun IMO!
smile.png

In my sig is a post i made with info on coturnix, check it out if you'd like!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Something like this is what I'm planning on building in the spring for our A & M's...how many do you have in there? And what are the dimensions?

Very, very nice!
wink.png

Quote:
Something like this is what I'm planning on building in the spring for our A & M's...how many do you have in there? And what are the dimensions?

Very, very nice!
wink.png

It's 8 feet long, I made it just deep enough so I can still reach in to the back corners. It's about 24 inches high at the back, and maybe 16 or 18 at the front. It's tall enough in the front so a 1 gallon waterer will fit in easy, and we have a 7 pound hanging feeder in it now. The closed in part was an experiment but they like to go in it on cold nights. We normally keep about 15 breeders in it but when we grow them out there can be up to 40 or so.

Steve

Mine are spoiled. I have them in pairs in 3'x3' parrot cages in my living room. This summer, they're going in runs in the yard during the day.
smile.png
I originally had them in the Havahart wire bunny cages, which I think I paid $18/each for. Check Craigslist - tons of cheap cages on there.
-Spooky

Quote:
I like that .....ummmm now if I could talk my momma into help me do that !! She told me know earlier cause I can't walk right now to help feed and water cause I shattered my ankle 11-15 and
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
that tuesday I get this cast off for good!!! Then I would help do it and hatch me some quail!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I like that .....ummmm now if I could talk my momma into help me do that !! She told me know earlier cause I can't walk right now to help feed and water cause I shattered my ankle 11-15 and
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
that tuesday I get this cast off for good!!! Then I would help do it and hatch me some quail!

That's to funny, I had a broken ankle when I built that pen.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom