quail eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KyleD., Mar 23, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    i have eggs on the way and im going to try the egg carton methof so im sitting here reading about chicken eggs."smal end down"..so what about quail eggs, round right? how to you set them in there?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Nope, these eggs have a pointy end too [​IMG] I have only had a few that were questionable, and they were not from my birds [​IMG]

3. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    okay great. i all of asudden freaked out thinkinh they were round. next question, will a large egg carton work with hole cut or should i try and find some small egg cartons?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It should work. You might want to get some cotton or pillow stuffing to put around the egg to keep it upright. I actually used some jumbo egg cartons to hatch buttons before, and the button eggs were laying on their sides. Just be sure to tilt the carton so the eggs are shifted side to side, not end to end. You would be able to set them on their sides that way.

EAT: I think some of them are round, but none of mine have been. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  5. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    thank you so much. i will definitely put some cotton in there to keep them upright.

6. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I just use a regular egg carton. Then I use cotton balls to hold them in place. Pull the cotton ball until it is stretched out some and fit it in the egg cup around the egg so it does not move. Worked good for me!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by