Quail Eggs

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
PLEASE, can someone tell me what time of day a female quail lays her eggs? I have 9 White Bobwhite's and am beginning to think they are all male, LOL!!! They are young but mature and "calling". I'm wondering if a small snake is getting the eggs. I've not found even 1. They are in an 8 by 28 foot pen, 9 feet high with 2 male Red Golden pheasant. They run around all day eating and taking dirt baths, happy as can be. I thought quail slept on the ground but these sleep 5 feet up on a log perch. Peafowl (peacocks) lay their eggs late in the day before dark.

Thanks much.

PLEASE, can someone tell me what time of day a female quail lays her eggs? I have 9 White Bobwhite's and am beginning to think they are all male, LOL!!! They are young but mature and "calling". I'm wondering if a small snake is getting the eggs. I've not found even 1. They are in an 8 by 28 foot pen, 9 feet high with 2 male Red Golden pheasant. They run around all day eating and taking dirt baths, happy as can be. I thought quail slept on the ground but these sleep 5 feet up on a log perch. Peafowl (peacocks) lay their eggs late in the day before dark.

Thanks much.
Bob whites don't usually start laying until the first may after they have reached 6 months of age. If they are not 5-6 months old right now, it is very likely you won't get any eggs until next year. They will begin laying in late april early may and lay appx 100 eggs before stopping for the season. Quail don't have a set time of day they lay eggs.

I believe they hatched around late November last year. They were given to me when chicks. That would put them at 5 months old the end of April so guess I'll just have to wait and see. While searching for answers I read male quail live approx. 5 years and females under 2 years. That's sad. My birds are pets. Peafowl live 20 plus years. Will have to find out life span of my Red Golden male quail and a male Silver pheasant.

I do so thank you for the reply.

BD5, when you have to correct something in your post, look for the "pencil" icon at the bottom left side of the post. That will allow you to "edit" your post/reply and not have to post another thread.
James

Thanks much.

Mine haven't started laying either!!

Back
Top Bottom