Quail Feet on shavings?

FeatherSmith

In the Brooder
May 13, 2022
Today when checking my quail I turned one over and noticed scabs on her feet. They seemed healed over. I ran some water over them and felt her feet to be sure they were scabs and not just debris.

I then tested birds at random and found several females with similar marks, though the lighter males were all fine.

I had them on 1/4 inch uncoated hardware cloth for the first week in the hutch but became unhappy with it because of how messy it was and last weekend I crawled under (wearing tight goggles and a mask, not pleasant!) and replaced it with 1/2 coated wire. Half the hutch is on this green coated wire and half is indoors with shavings or sand depending on what I have.

I took a moment and ran my hand all over the wire and it felt smooth like pvc should.

I didn't see any redness or lameness... what do you think? Did I catch the problem without knowing by changing the wire to a softer one? Or will I have more problems? Can shavings cause quail bumblefoot? I change bedding every other day and it don't get too nasty.

I'm guessing that you prevented worse by your change. Your birds can get bumble foot on pine shavings, but only if you don't keep it clean enough. Bumblefoot is basically a staph infection. The bacteria gets into an open wound and causes infection.

Thanks. I think I'm going to change the shavings daily, though I was going a day in between. I'll monitor for a week to make sure things are improving and not going back. I'd like to provide a picture or two for future browsers. But.. zzz it is bedtime for now.

Back
Top Bottom