Quail flock not getting along. Advice please.

Soph_quail

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
So a few weeks ago we lost 1/5 of the birds from one of our flocks. We were concerned about disease so separated another bird until we knew she was healthy (this was about 4 days). In this time the structure of the flock seemed to breakdown with a lot of fighting occurring. It has been 3 weeks since they were all reunited and I expected there to be some fighting as they created a new pecking order, however they still have not resolved.
anytime we interact with them they go crazy, jumping around and flying and generally causing havoc. And this occurs even when we leave them alone. It’s chaos. I’m just wondering how much longer I should wait before trying to reorganise my flocks as it’s getting quite chaotic.

So a few weeks ago we lost 1/5 of the birds from one of our flocks. We were concerned about disease so separated another bird until we knew she was healthy (this was about 4 days). In this time the structure of the flock seemed to breakdown with a lot of fighting occurring. It has been 3 weeks since they were all reunited and I expected there to be some fighting as they created a new pecking order, however they still have not resolved.
anytime we interact with them they go crazy, jumping around and flying and generally causing havoc. And this occurs even when we leave them alone. It’s chaos. I’m just wondering how much longer I should wait before trying to reorganise my flocks as it’s getting quite chaotic.
Have you redecorated their space? Move things around to make it seem like a new space. I also use diluted vinegar to help everybody smell the same. It usually works. Do you have hiding spots also?

Have you redecorated their space? Move things around to make it seem like a new space. I also use diluted vinegar to help everybody smell the same. It usually works. Do you have hiding spots also?
Hi, yes we redecorate fairly frequently to keep them entertained and they seem to like it. There are also plenty of hiding spots, we even added more to help. How do you use vinegar? We put apple cider vinegar in their water but haven’t heard of any others uses. Thanks

Hi, yes we redecorate fairly frequently to keep them entertained and they seem to like it. There are also plenty of hiding spots, we even added more to help. How do you use vinegar? We put apple cider vinegar in their water but haven’t heard of any others uses. Thanks
You spray them with it. This masks their own smell and they all smell alike. It usually helps calm things down. I have heard of people using perfume and such, but personally I’d rather not spray them with something like that.
There is a thread about integrating quail coveys using vinegar you can check out. I’m trying to look for it but it may take a little time to find.

Back
Top Bottom