Quail food - which pellets

Traceyrabbit

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2018
Hi, I have 5, 6 week old quails. I am very new to keeping quails, and am getting concerned about what to feed them. I started them on baby chick crumb and yesterday moved them on to finisher pellets (for turkeys and cockerels), but I'm concerned that these are two big for them to manage. There was still a large amount of food left in their feeder this morning. I have a huge bag of the finisher pellets, so could I break these down a bit in a blender for them, or should I swap them onto a different feed. I'm not keeping them for food, so not interested in fattening them up, I just want them to be healthy and lay eggs. Thank you!

Most people feed them chick starter their entire lives. Ideally you want to give them at least 24% protein in a crumble... I feed mine 30% turkey starter crumble

I tried mininpellets (gamebird food, which is hi protein). They did not take to these mini pellets at all. We went back to crumble. But, you can break your pellets up in a blender or make a wet mash.

I tried mininpellets (gamebird food, which is hi protein). They did not take to these mini pellets at all. We went back to crumble. But, you can break your pellets up in a blender or make a wet mash.

Ooh, what's a wet mash? I've tried blending the pellets, so will see how that goes. Thanks for the tip!

Ooh, what's a wet mash? I've tried blending the pellets, so will see how that goes. Thanks for the tip!

Add water to an oatmeal consistency. Some people go farther and ferment the feed (add water, stir, let sit 1-3 days to ferment)....but takes planning and space.

Mixing feed: I find that they waste the most feed when mixed...maybe picking out favorite bits? We also provide chick grit (for chickens, but it’s the smaller size for chicks) mixed with parakeet grit (available at Walmart or pet stores) since I didn’t know what was right size. Anyway, my 11yo mixed this with millet seed (unknown to me) ...grit was gone in a day. After noticing this over several days I finally ask my 11yo why and she told me. I laughed bc obviously they were tossing the grit in order to get the seeds!

Good luck

Mine eat bantam growers pellets. It never even occured to me it would be an issue and it hasnt been. They get some fruit and veg, seeds and a little bit of corn as well as mealworms, dried shrimp, and live crickets although the latter isnt a daily thing

Add water to an oatmeal consistency. Some people go farther and ferment the feed (add water, stir, let sit 1-3 days to ferment)....but takes planning and space.

Mixing feed: I find that they waste the most feed when mixed...maybe picking out favorite bits? We also provide chick grit (for chickens, but it’s the smaller size for chicks) mixed with parakeet grit (available at Walmart or pet stores) since I didn’t know what was right size. Anyway, my 11yo mixed this with millet seed (unknown to me) ...grit was gone in a day. After noticing this over several days I finally ask my 11yo why and she told me. I laughed bc obviously they were tossing the grit in order to get the seeds!

Good luck

I tried them on a mash, but they weren't keen. Might try it again in a few weeks! :)

Back
Top Bottom