Moa32

Hatching
Jun 22, 2017
I bought 36 cortunix quail eggs 16 days ago, I was able to set 32 (few cracked on the way home) out of the 32 I had 27 at lockdown. I was really concerned because I was having trouble with temp drops at night throughout the entire incubation and my humidity was near non existent no matter what I did. I locked down on day 14 because it looked like I was going to have a few early hatches. Day 15 I had 2 hatch which lifted and stabilised the humidity, I woke up on day 16 I had 20 quail in total, still 7 eggs left all have pips. The quail in the bator are going off their heads.

So my question is when should I remove the ones who have hatched?

I don't want to disturb the humidity for the remainder who from what I can see all have pips . I'm concerned the first two hatches would be getting hungry but my humidity was such an issue during incubation and first part of lockdown it seems a big risk to take them out.

paneubert

Songster
Nov 20, 2015
Snohomish County, Washington State
My Coop
If you are fast, it is going to be worth taking them out. Can you really not raise the humidity with a wet towel or sponge or something? It is all about surface area that is wet. Not just about quantity of water. I imagine a soaking wet kitchen sponge or wet washcloth is going to spike the humidity. If the quail hatching did, so should a sponge/towel. Right?

firestomp

Chirping
Jul 28, 2016
Indianapolis
If you are fast, it is going to be worth taking them out. Can you really not raise the humidity with a wet towel or sponge or something? It is all about surface area that is wet. Not just about quantity of water. I imagine a soaking wet kitchen sponge or wet washcloth is going to spike the humidity. If the quail hatching did, so should a sponge/towel. Right?
I agree, with you, it is very important to get them out and to a brooder with feed and water. I use a ninja and break the chick starter down down to a cornmeal grit, and add pea gravel to the waterer so no drowning happens.

Moa32

Hatching
Jun 22, 2017
I have ended up with 25 quail and 2 quitters , 1 pipped in the wrong spot and I cannot figure out what happened to the other. I removed the earliest of hatches first and left a couple as the others hatched I removed the others and left new hatches. It is actually the best hatch I have ever had.

I've been doing chicken eggs and occasionally quail for years. I've never had this sort of humidity prob before but this is a new bator. Other than the humidity issue (I think it's the location I have the bator) I'm pretty impressed with it all the surviving quail are very strong and healthy and we're very thirsty when I got them out. I have a dish with pebbles in it to stop drowning, I do that with my jap bantam chicks too after I lost a couple from drowning.

Top Bottom