quail hatching early, not sure the cause

quailmama 82012

Songster
Dec 27, 2019
Show Low, Arizona
hey everybody.
okay, first a little back round. the eggs came in early, with no notice, the day before we were leaving on a trip. so i cleaned my incubator and let it warm up again, and then let the eggs sit overnight. (two had detached air cells) i candled them on day eight and one was empty, so i took it out, but others had some funky stuff going on (i dont have pics, sorry). for the majority, i was satisfied when i candled. today is the end of day 14 and the first day i counted as zero. so if you count the first day as day 1 i am on day 15. anyway, before i started incubating the eggs i calibrated the humidity gauge and the thermometer. the thermometer was accurate, but the humidity gauge was 29% to low. (so whenever i checked it i added 29 to what it showed and took that as the actual humidity)
the first four days we had my grandma check the incubator since we were gone. unfortunately she had the humidity WAY to high.
ANYWAY today was lockdown, and i have a pip. i do not know what is going to happen/is going on.
suggestions?
(sorry if this is confusing)

Did you calibrate your thermometers?

There is pretty much nothing you can do at this point that is going to change the outcome of the hatch.

Can you explain just how you calibrated your humidity gauge please?

Yep I calibrated the thermometer in an ice bath. I calibrated the humidity guage by putting it in a bag overnight with a salt slurry in a little container
I am going to take a wild guess and say that you have hot spots in your bator.
Almost all of us do.

Get more thermometers before you set eggs again.
Calibrate them all and spread them out in your bator so you can see at one glance how different each side of the bator is reading.

There is no doubt...if your eggs are hatching early your temp is too high.

Zero doubt.

Thanks. The rush on these ones thanks to early shipping was not appreciated *cough cough Amazon cough cough.
I will get two more thermometers and put one on each side and one in the middle. We'll see I guess.

Attachments

• 15938330987335157432816231306113.jpg
    15938330987335157432816231306113.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 10
crossing my fingers for the little one. nothing happened overnight.
i think i am not going to assist this hatch, because i messed it up last time so i guess we will see.
you know what they say, fourth times a charm!:rolleyes:
update:
i found another pip just a second ago, and i have a feeling its going to work out:fl

Last edited:
I always like to say the following: mother nature is no digital machine!

Like human births can be too early or too late, hatching eggs make no difference.
So many factors, which can influence the hatch, like temp (as mentioned), storage before incubation, genetics, etc. ... .

As long as they hatch healthy, I stopped to make too much thoughts about it.

Back
Top Bottom