Quail having problem walking

That photo is really blurry. It might be bumble foot, in which case you'll want to keep soaking until you can get the plug out.
Sorry about the blurry pic, I’ve taken a clearer one. I’ll try soaking their feet in epsom salt water. Can you please let me know how many times a day should they be soaked and in how many days can the plug be taken out?

Attachments

• 08F4F774-1CA6-4577-ADAF-0F6C91CFBF02.jpeg
    08F4F774-1CA6-4577-ADAF-0F6C91CFBF02.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 10
Sorry about the blurry pic, I’ve taken a clearer one. I’ll try soaking their feet in epsom salt water. Can you please let me know how many times a day should they be soaked and in how many days can the plug be taken out?
That really doesn't look bad. I would soak them 2 or 3 times per day and see if it starts to heal on it's own. If it doesn't over the next couple of days, then I would see about trying to remove the plug. In quail the pus is solid, so you may have to help it out.

That really doesn't look bad. I would soak them 2 or 3 times per day and see if it starts to heal on it's own. If it doesn't over the next couple of days, then I would see about trying to remove the plug. In quail the pus is solid, so you may have to help it out.
Thanks Nabiki! I’ll try that and let you know how it goes. Hopefully it’s the cure for my girls!

Hi Nabiki, I’ve just soaked their feet in epsom salt and really I don’t think they have bumblefoot. However, I did find the joint above their middle foot is red and a bit swollen. Do you know what it is and how to treat it? Many thanks!

Attachments

• 9531C2BC-4F71-4586-AD0C-614E556FD752.jpeg
    9531C2BC-4F71-4586-AD0C-614E556FD752.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 10
Are they on ground or wire? If wire, do they have enough spaces to rest their feet off it?

Also, what food do they get?

@Pandaisy After cleaning their feet, I could see there is actually some redness on the joint above the middle foot.
Hmm... That could be injury or some kind of infection, but I'm not a vet. Is a vet an option?
@Cazook They are on ground. We are giving them 16% laying crumbs plus anything we have in a summer garden such as worms and vegies.
That's a bit low on protein for quail. Can you get something closer to 18-20% protein?

Hmm... That could be injury or some kind of infection, but I'm not a vet. Is a vet an option?

That's a bit low on protein for quail. Can you get something closer to 18-20% protein?
@Nabiki Thanks! I'll try to find 18-20% protein food.
I'm not sure about the vet. I heard they charge a lot. Maybe that's the last resort.

Back
Top Bottom