Quail Help Please! Urgent

silkieluvr

Songster
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
Marin, California
Hey everyone,

I hatched 5 button quail chicks out about 3 days ago and everyone was happy, healthy and doing fine. Well my dad woke up this morning to one baby dead and 2 more looking sleepy. One has perked up a lot but the other looks like it is having trouble walking. Please help, I don't want to lose any more of these precious babies!

I am so sorry to hear you are having trouble. The only suggestion I have is to make sure what your temp is in the brooder, make sure they are drinking because they have fast metabolisms and need plenty of water to drink and you can add some vitamins and electrolytes to the water and dip their beaks every hour. Other than that, I don't know what else to say. Sorry.

Marie

Also, what are you feeding them? It has to be higher protein than regular chicken starter.

I fed my babies cat chow, which I chop up to a fine powder in the blender. I mix in a little starter crumbles, and once out of the brooder they get a mix of cat chow, starter crumbles and chick grit all chopped up in the blender, plus what the parakeets spill out of their feeder.

I read a lot of conflicting information on what to feed them when doing my research, but the common theme seemed to be they need at least 28% protein or higher.

Yes, it does sound like a nutrition problem. Unfortunatley i am not a chicken expert........... so all i can do is this:

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Good luck!

Turkey starter should be fine...did you grind it up so it is small enough to eat. I even grind feed for my regular sized quail for the first week or two.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom