Quail Help Please! Urgent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkieluvr, Aug 1, 2008.

1. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Hey everyone,

I hatched 5 button quail chicks out about 3 days ago and everyone was happy, healthy and doing fine. Well my dad woke up this morning to one baby dead and 2 more looking sleepy. One has perked up a lot but the other looks like it is having trouble walking. Please help, I don't want to lose any more of these precious babies!

2. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I am so sorry to hear you are having trouble. The only suggestion I have is to make sure what your temp is in the brooder, make sure they are drinking because they have fast metabolisms and need plenty of water to drink and you can add some vitamins and electrolytes to the water and dip their beaks every hour. Other than that, I don't know what else to say. Sorry.

Marie

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Also, what are you feeding them? It has to be higher protein than regular chicken starter.

I fed my babies cat chow, which I chop up to a fine powder in the blender. I mix in a little starter crumbles, and once out of the brooder they get a mix of cat chow, starter crumbles and chick grit all chopped up in the blender, plus what the parakeets spill out of their feeder.

I read a lot of conflicting information on what to feed them when doing my research, but the common theme seemed to be they need at least 28% protein or higher.

4. SuperChicken007

SuperChicken007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Trapped in my computer
    Yes, it does sound like a nutrition problem. Unfortunatley i am not a chicken expert........... so all i can do is this:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck!

5. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I have them on turkey starter. I thought that would be good but now I am wondering. Should I supplement with anything else?

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Turkey starter should be fine...did you grind it up so it is small enough to eat. I even grind feed for my regular sized quail for the first week or two.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by