Quail hen became aggressive towards me?

Jacob Duckman

Chirping
Jul 4, 2016
Lehigh Valley
I've got a flock of domesticated coturnix. Two males and a dozen females. I've incubated, hatched, and hand-fed all of them myself. All adults now. The two males will sometimes peck and chase each other, but otherwise none of the birds have ever shown any aggression towards each other or myself up to this point. The hens have been all very docile and laying daily.

Then, about a week ago, one of the youngest hens (still adult and laying) started charging towards me and pecking my hand every time i walk into the run. even with a handful of mealworms, she ignores the mealworms at first and charges at/pecks my hand.

I am left at a loss. Why is she acting like that? None of the other hens are acting like that. She is not bothering any of the other birds, so I feel she is angry at me for some reason...

The only unusual thing that has happened was a raccoon attack a few days prior that killed one of the older hens. (something pried open the stapled hardware cloth off frame at night, guessing an unusually smart/strong raccoon). I don't think it's related, because she acted normal a few days following that event.

Has anyone else ever experienced this behavior? From a Hen? What's going on in her mind?

Yes - and I am considering changing her name from Sweetie to Crocodile. She's just excited about the food I think. The food, the hand, it's all the same to her and her pea brain lol.

I've got a flock of domesticated coturnix. Two males and a dozen females. I've incubated, hatched, and hand-fed all of them myself. All adults now. The two males will sometimes peck and chase each other, but otherwise none of the birds have ever shown any aggression towards each other or myself up to this point. The hens have been all very docile and laying daily.

Then, about a week ago, one of the youngest hens (still adult and laying) started charging towards me and pecking my hand every time i walk into the run. even with a handful of mealworms, she ignores the mealworms at first and charges at/pecks my hand.

I am left at a loss. Why is she acting like that? None of the other hens are acting like that. She is not bothering any of the other birds, so I feel she is angry at me for some reason...

The only unusual thing that has happened was a raccoon attack a few days prior that killed one of the older hens. (something pried open the stapled hardware cloth off frame at night, guessing an unusually smart/strong raccoon). I don't think it's related, because she acted normal a few days following that event.

Has anyone else ever experienced this behavior? From a Hen? What's going on in her mind?
Yeah its probably just that she's very excited about the mealworms. My hens do that too sometimes lol. Thats probably why after the racoon attack she was a bit startled, so not as excited.

Back
Top Bottom