quail keep dieing in the brooder?

Gold and black striped= Manchurian Golden
smile.png

99 is good. If they are spread out they are more comfortable in the brooder. The issue with being too cold is that they will huddle and their metabolism will be lower because they are working so hard to stay warm. This is in turn, causes them t starve and dehydrate faster.

Blain Change Your Brooder Bulb To A 100 Watt.... Thats The Easiest Way To Get The Temp Up. As Alexandra Eluded To This Is From The Batch That Went Way Late? If So They Are Likely Weak Chicks. Also Make Sure They Are Eating. Quail Will Instrictively Seek Out Water And Drink, But Must Learn To Eat. A Nice Shiney Dime On Top Of The Feed In A Shallow Open Dish, Directly Under Your Heat Lamp Helps To Draw Their Attention To The Food And Teach Them To Eat.

yeah these chicks are from the batch that was really late. I put in the 100 watt bulb and took out the 60 watt bulb the brooder is at 100 to 102 now. They seem to like it better.

Personally I don't put newly hatched chicks on shavings OR paper towels. YES the paper towels do cause leg problems and YES they will eat the shavings! I have an old blanket that I cut into pieces and that's what I use in my brooders. If none of the pieces are available I get a dish towel and put that in there, I can always wash it.

Quote:
are they eating and drinking? i just visited with a lady that raises quail and she said the first 2-3 days she uses the feed in the bottom as her litter to get them to eat...after this she cleans it out and places feed in a regular feeder... she says warmth and getting them started eating are the major problems, she had takes the large plastic totes and cuts the lid in half...she takes the small cage wire and attaches it to the half lid she saves...she can open and close this easily to feed and take care of them....she places a 75 watt bulb, in a metal holder, like you use in a brooder and sits this on top of the wired end, she then takes a towel and covers the lamp and wired cover...and leaves a 2 inch are pulled back just slightly for air circulatiom...she says;;;;;; THAT THE 75 watt will not get hot....again i have not tried this....so check this out and make sure it does not get hot...she says draft, not keeping warm enough, and eating are necessary right away after being hatched...i use to know a man that raised quail and he also said they must be kept warm and tight during the first week...i am going to try my luck in the spring....even though you have them inside you probably need a something like this lady's that has a top and towels or something else to prevent them from chilling. again she emphasized keeping towels only warm, not hot to prevent fire.

i lost another one today i only got 2 left now. They are eating and drinking good the brooder temp is at 100 to 102. I guess they are just weak chick because of the hatch taking a long time. Oh well going to be putting somemore eggs in the bator hopefully next week.

am going to try the food in the bottom of the brooder that sounds like it would work out good. It cant hurt to try it anyways. Thanks for everyones help this is all new to me this is my first time hatching quail i have a few adult birds that i got about a month ago. And i just loved them every since. Well the next eggs will be alot better than the last ones i bought off of ebay.

Back
Top Bottom