quail leg injury

beakmaster

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 3, 2013
Panama City, Florida
One of my female quail has a swollen leg and is having a hard time getting around. The thigh area is swollen is about as big as a hotdog around. I am considering putting it down. Could this be a broken leg? I keep the cage clean and the birds are about 9 weeks old or so. They are my first birds and I have had them for 5 weeks.

Yep, yep.

I had the same thing (although not like a hot dog in circumference, it was like 2 Q-tip tops)

What i did (well my dad) is we made a cast, he took four tooth picks and some string and a tissue (or two) and did something like: Arrange the four tooth picks like a square around leg (have someone to help you), tie it (not too tight, just enough so it stays on), then put tissue(s) on (wrap it around, or if you have gauze or some water proof material), then tie it tight (not too tight to hurt).

Once you make the cast, all you have to worry about is it being wet. (You can also isolate the quail for a bit, smaller cage, and what not so he/she doesn't have to move too far for water and food)

Now, it's the size of one Q-tip top, BUT she walks fine (no limp).

Can you maybe provide a photo? It'll help a bit more to determine what's happening. I've had a quail with swollen joints, but never any thigh injuries.

It could be infected. From what I've learnt on the internet, and also from common sense, if there is an open wound and bad bacteria get in, it is likely it would get infected, and even swollen in your case. Hence where bumblefoot comes from.

But someone else on BYC is having a problem with an over-sized thighl;
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ollen-thigh-on-left-leg-help-advice-needed/20

If it's just a swollen leg/joint, it could just be vitamin deficiency.
Culling, well, I've never done it before, but I'd use it as a last resort if nothing can be done for your hen.

Yet, it could just be a sprain. How does she actually move around?
But yes, like what MrNappy said (never made a cast before, but your idea sounds great. :D thanks for the technique idea!), isolate her, and make sure she gets enough food and water until you can find out what's wrong with her.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies to my inquiry. The I will get back to you with a picture tomorrow as its dark now. I did isolate her The bird does move around but does favor its other leg. When she puts weight on the injured leg it takes very short steps.

Oh. Do you think you could maybe gently feel her leg for any broken bones?
Is there any unusual colourings?

My quail had a bruised foot, and he'd just hop around until it got better.

Yea, it was like that in the beginning she had trouble walking, but now she is super. (Loves hitting other quail, even my hand (if i step in the room 4/5 hens come near door of cage, i put my hand in and they start scratching))

She would take a step and collapse on her own weight, she should be put somewhere, where food and water are right in front of her.

Increase the distance every other day by about two or three inches. (Or whatever seems comfortable)

Last edited:

ok, i got this pic of her tonight. The swelling doesn't look as bad as it was BUT I wasn't able to get a real good look b4 as I didn't wanna pic her up so it may not be less swollen. Its as big around as my thumb or bigger. The swelling is actually just on the knee also. I was able to also see bump on the swollen area that resembles some of the pictures I have seen of birds with bumblefoot except its on the knee. Thanks for yalls help. oh, nice avatar Mr Nappy.

Last edited:
is her toe on that foot black? if so she may have an infection in it just clean it well and put some neosporine or the like on it and watch her for a few days if she acts sick try to put her by herself and add a heat source it seems to calm them. good luck....

the black on that toe is a shadow. Here in Florida and it has been 80 for the past week so I might skip the heat but I will add neosporine to the knee tonight. It seems like one thing after another with these birds. Saturday one of my birds was nearly killed by its 3 pen-mates (all female). They had never had any issues and Saturday the three Tibetan were trying to rip the Pharaoh's head off. I thought it was gonna die for sure. She bled a lot and layed an egg that was soft. I isolated her from the rest and put some neosporin on the wound. She was shaking for about a day and is now eating. I think she was in shock. Should they be separated permanently? If I trim their beaks will this help? I don't have the space to really do that for long so culling might be the only answer.

You could try and sell the quail, to make a little extra cash. Unless you want to eat them.

But if you want too, you can trim off the sharp ends of the beak without hitting the vein. It'll grow back, but reduce the injury that could happen.

Give the isolated pharoah hen some more calcium supplements like crushed up oyster shell, crushed up egg shell or shell grit. It might be calcium deficiency that caused her to lay a soft-shelled egg.

I learnt on here that quail can be 'racist' against each other, and pick on those who look different from one another. I had a brown who kept picking on my roux dilute's and silvers(?) because they were a different colour. So, the tibetan's could have done that to your pharoah because of her difference in looks, but if not, do they have a big enough space among each other?

Minimum requirement is 1 square foot per bird apparently.

Back
Top Bottom