Quail Noise?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I've been wondering how much will neighbors notice noise with quail? (And if in an urban neighborhood).

It seems like it basically comes down to the call of the males.

But I wondered how big of a problem is this? And will it be like that all day or just during certain time periods.

I have been waiting 2 years for my neighbors to complain - fingers crossed they have been quite tolerant. My son complains - but I think it is because he stays up to the early hours and I sleep through it.

* Males usually crow to call females - so a male who is happy and can see his girls will rarely do so.
* There are the occasional ones who just like the sound of their own voice - but these I find are exceptions.
*A male split from his girls will call constantly - even the girls make a racket calling back to him. Also, grow out males will call to attract females.
*They are most noisy as it starts to get light - so here in the UK right now - this from 4am.

I am fairly new to quail too. I had 14 straight run babies because finding mature females during the pandemic was next to impossible where I live. I live in a townhouse in the city so quiet is key. The babies started crowing about 5wks old. I have culled 6 so far by 10 weeks. I culled in batches based on how much noise they made. They can be fairly loud in the house. They are in my bedroom and I would wait until it was loud and constant and interfering with my sleep. Even with a strict lighting schedule and bedtime, I would still get 2am crowing because there were so many boys. I culled my first 2, things calmed down for about a week until the next alpha's rose to the top. The top 2 alpha's tend to try to one up eachother and it gets very loud. Then 2 more the following week. And then I culled one because he was overly aggressive and hurt one of the girls pretty badly. She is in a pen on her own right now to heal. I have 3 more boys right now but they haven't been loud or aggressive yet so they are getting a pass right now. The occasional crow and rustling when mating. I didn't have good luck with the boy/girl ratio with my chicks but luck of the draw. No way to tell at 1 week old. The girls are pretty silent. A little pig-like grunting noise and a small egg song are all I really notice. The most annoying thing is the clinking of the waterer when they drink. That being said, even when my boys were constantly crowing inside my house and driving me crazy, my neighbors I share a wall with couldn't hear them and could faintly hear outside in my backyard. Their calls blended into the natural bird calls outside. I think it would be different if I had a larger number or kept them outside, might get some complaints then.

I have mine in separate pens. 8 in one with 6 hens and 2 roos. They rarely ever crow. I have 7 others split in 2's or 3's and they crow non stop during the day. quite at night

I only ever had two roosters longer than 6 weeks. My permanent rooster doesn't crow, he croaks like a tiny toad and only when he is unhappy or can't find his mate. The other one crowed, but only in the morning and maybe 3 times. My neighbor likes to report people for no real reason, he hasn't complained yet. I had to get rid of that rooster, because he was overly aggressive towards me. I looked like I tried to grab a cactus with my bare hands...

Happy roos don't crow much. They will crow if you have too many of them or they're unhappy for any reason. Part of why I got quail is because they are pretty quiet. I live in an urban environment too.

Mine crow once or twice throughout the day each, mainly dawn and dusk. They have different sounds for different reasons: when they are showing off for the ladies, when they are out of food, when they spill their water, when they are cold, when they are ready to wake up, when they laid an egg..Etc. They are pretty good at communicating what they need. My husband thinks I'm crazy because I can almost always tell what specifically the noise was for. But momma hen instincts I guess when you have lived with them 24/7 since they were babies. It also helps keep them quiet because I can usually quickly address what made them upset in the first place and make them happy again.

Back
Top Bottom