Quail Noises....Odd Quail

2boys1homestead

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Pewamo, MI
I have 4 jumbo coturnix quail. As far as I know, they are all female (they all have chest spots). Now the quail with the least amount of spots is making a weird croaking sound. She isn't crowing or anything like that. The other three chirp or trill while this one sounds like a really small bullfrog.

It's eating well and nothing seems to be wrong with it at all. We are averaging about 3 eggs a day between the 4 quails. Do I have a weird male? or maybe the legendary frog whisperer?

Any help would be appreciated!

I thought all of them were female...the other three have a much larger section off spots on their chests while this one just has a small (maybe 1/2 inch) band. He's definitely not like the pictures I've seen where it's completely rust colored starting at the neck. A male would be a blessing though. I have wanted to expand our flock.

I just wanted to update everyone about the quail croaking. I have 4 quail and all of them are female. All four of them croak like frogs and all of them make very loud sounds. I've never heard a male quail crow, so I'm not sure what that sounds like, but in case anyone ever finds this in a search, a croaking quail does not mean it's male.

Also, the amount of speckled feathers on females can vary. I had 3 females with A LOT of speckled breast feathers and one female with only an inch or so of speckled breast feathers.

Thanks everyone for your help!

My hens occasionally croak like frogs or sound like crickets, and sometimes they kind of trill. The crowing of males is very distinctive, you can't mistake that. It sounds like crowing.

Back
Top Bottom