Quail on Deep Litter - Why it Works

Pics
I'd rather end a life under what I know is humane supervision than trust an $8 an hour worker at a slaughter house to treat an animal well. I process my meat as much as I can in order to ensure humane handling practices (eating less hormones is just an added benefit). Slaughter houses use a whole bunch of weird (cost saving) methods for slaughtering. Chickens are usually stunned by walking them onto an electrified plate then placed in kill cones where their throats are slit. Cattle usually have a large pneumatically driven steel rod smashed through the side of their head while they wait single file...I don't see how either of those things is more humane than doing them yourself with your hands, a hatchet, or a .38...

That is almost exactly what I wrote Don, then I deleted it down to the laughing, because my words were sure to scuff up some feelings.

dc, my feelings can't be hurt not that your post was due to something you said to me......I believe we all need to express our opinions without holding back. Let's say it like it is. I'd never think you to be a jerk. Actually I'd like to be invited over for dinner!! (-:

dc, my feelings can't be hurt not that your post was due to something you said to me......I believe we all need to express our opinions without holding back. Let's say it like it is. I'd never think you to be a jerk. Actually I'd like to be invited over for dinner!! (-:
Come on over. I just back from camping in the mountains and need help eating all trout and crawdads.

I'm historically pretty bad with people's feelings. Sometimes I can't find any way to say something without being a jerk. I make no excuses about it, I'm aware of my manner.

Geez, are you sure we are unrelated?? you just described me.

I'll finish those trout and crawdads! I just brought my youngin's fishing on freshwater for the first time. We had a blast catching sunnies, pike and catfish. I have to get them real rod & tackle. Not sure what to get for young kids. They had trouble with the big rods.

I am almost done building my first outdoor quail pen. I decided to make it a deep litter version and if need be I can use it as a growing out pen at first and separate the breeders into their own smaller wire cages if I don't like this set up.

I'll finish those trout and crawdads! I just brought my youngin's fishing on freshwater for the first time. We had a blast catching sunnies, pike and catfish. I have to get them real rod & tackle. Not sure what to get for young kids. They had trouble with the big rods.

I am almost done building my first outdoor quail pen. I decided to make it a deep litter version and if need be I can use it as a growing out pen at first and separate the breeders into their own smaller wire cages if I don't like this set up.
I had my nephew using an ultra light but it casts way too good for him so he spent a lot of time in the trees. My dad taught me with zebco push buttons until he trusted me not to break his good stuff. I think that was a good plan.

Can guinea fowl transmit diseases to quail the way chickens do?
Yes, if they are infected. They aren't likely to be carriers the way chickens are but if they've contracted any parasite/disease through eating bugs or bacteria they can transmit them. Most parasites spend part of their lives in an intermediary host such as ants, grasshoppers, slugs, flys, worms...basically everything guineas love to eat.

Back
Top Bottom