Quail or Bantams?

BarkingPup

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 29, 2007
Canada
So in a couple of years I will be buying a cargo trailer and turning it into a travel trailer. I intend to be as self sufficient as possible. My carnivore animals eat a raw diet so I needed meat (minimum 3 types of protein). Guinea Pigs is one because they can be colony-kept (plus I'm allergic to rabbits) and are better producers than pigeons, better meat than mice or rats. I'm experimenting with goat products to see if I have the same issues with lactose as with cow products. If I do, the goats will be meat goats only and I'll have to buy my milk-products instead of being self sufficient.

ANYWAYS, I'm stuck on quail vs bantams. I'm testing if I have the same allergies to quail eggs as I do to chicken eggs. Regardless, I'm trying to figure out which would be the better choice.

Quail:

Pro's: Faster, better producers per feed. May not be allergic to the eggs. Bite-size.
Con's: Can't be free-ranged. Less meat for me. Require more birds for poultry recipes. Need harder-to-find feed. Can't be together with GP's and Goats.

Bantams:

Pro's: Larger producers. Less birds for recipes. Can be free-ranged. Friendlier. Can be in together with the GP's and Goats.
Con's: May be allergic to the eggs. Less production per feed. Need more space.

So with the type of place I'm moving into, what do YOU suggest I go with? It's so hard to choose especially since I have no experience with either.

Back
Top Bottom