Quail owners: Game bird licensing??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cozycritters, Dec 24, 2008.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Do those of you who own/hatch quail need to have Hobbiest or other game bird licenses to own them?

I believe that here, if I wanted to own any, I'd have to get a license...

2. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:In MN, I only need it for bobwhite quail - which I don't have. For the Coturnix, I had to get an exotic pet license and then a "more than three" permit. The DNR guy said if I was going to commercially breed them and/or run a game farm, I'd need a game bird license for them, but since they're just for pets and eggs, they fall into 'exotic pet' classification. The button quail didn't count at all - he laughed when I asked about that and said they're like finches - couldn't survive in the wild here, so the state doesn't care as long as I have either the city regulation limit for birds (3) or a "more than 3" permit. I got the permit.
    -Spooky

3. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks-- I've been looking on our Game and Fish pages... I swear I used to be able to find the info... [​IMG]

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure about AZ but i might have some info on your state in my post...I honestly dont remember (if youhavent checked it out already that is). The post is below in my sig. [​IMG]

Here coturnix and buttons are perfectly fine to own, raise and sell without permits--and are no-if-ands-or-buts illegal to release into the wild (they wouldnt survive).

Here bobwhites can be raised without a permit, however to sell or release you need a permit. This is because Bobwhites are native here and can survive so they like to keep tabs on their numbers and where released (same with pheasants).

In some states even button quails need permits *jaw drops* I think NC is one such state...which IMO is silly since i agree they are pretty much just finches lol.

5. tileman@prodigBird Raiser

[email protected] Raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    I have a state gamebird raising permit for NY.

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    In Tennessee you have to have a permit for Bobwhite quail.

7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    In North Carolina you have to have a game bird license to raise any type of Quail.
    Sharon

8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    In Nebraska, you need a permit for Bobwhite Quail, Ringneck Pheasants and Wild turkeys. Probably more breeds as well, but these are the ones that I was most interested in, so that's why I know.

Christina

9. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Utah you have to have them for certain types of quail ($185 for permit, site inspection and processing fee for 5 year permit) like Bobwhites, but no permits at all for Coturnix. It just depends on the breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by