quail personality

ltlchicken

Songster
11 Years
Oct 8, 2008
i got a bunch a babies, 50 coturnix (25 whites and 25 japanese). when do i need to make sure and separate them so they don't start killing each other. i have them in a brooder right now and they're doing great, but from what i've been reading, it kind happens over night (them attacking each other).

Quote:
We have had Coturnix for years and never had one attacked, I guess ours can't read that they are supposed to attack each other. Overcrowding would cause it I guess.

Steve in NC

I have only two A&M's (the white ones) that I hatched, that stay in the house, along with one button quail that were all in the same pen. It turns out that all three are males. About a day after I started hearing the A&M's crowing, I had to seperate the two of them. The one that started crowing first had started to peck the other one, and it was getting kind of beaten up. So with mine it was at about 5 weeks old, when they started getting sexually mature. Neither of them pay attention to the male button.
You will need to watch them once they get about 5-6 weeks old, to make sure there is no fighting. It really depends on how many males to females you have, and if they are too crowded. Mine were all 3 in a 10 gallon fish tank, a bit too small for the 3 of them.

thank you. i have them all in one of those square metal brooders right now. i plan on making several separate cages this weekend and separate them around 6 weeks and sell the extra males.

Back
Top Bottom