Quail Picking each other?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by coonriver, Aug 3, 2011.

1. coonriver

coonriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Sac City,Iowa
    My bobwhites are pecking at each others nostrils,what do i need to do to stop this?they are about 10 weeks old.i have been loosing about 2-4 a day from this.Mike

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I would say, Give'm more room or these... http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=803 I use them and all problems end... Makes ladies and gents out of them. If you can find the problem birds give them one only. But most likely, you'll never know who's do'n the damage. Give'm all a nose ring... They don't like it the first few days but you don't loose anymore birds and it's easy. + a nose ring just make a cooler bob!!! Bill

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, definitely give them more space. Bobwhites are an aggressive species of quail and it only gets worse! [​IMG] Even as babies they need about 1/2 to 1 square foot per bird. Divide them up into 2 or more brooders.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Bits For Everybody [​IMG]

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Oh... And Welcome To Bobs [​IMG]

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I know they're a bit young, but when they get to (at least) the 18-week era and are doing this, a charcoal grill grate makes outstandish tattoos on white meat.........just sayin' [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:I know they're a bit young, but when they get to (at least) the 18-week era and are doing this, a charcoal grill grate makes outstandish tattoos on white meat.........just sayin' [​IMG]

Now Randall Im think'n your on to somthin there... The grill grate tattoos are better than the nose rings!!! fixes the peck'n problem too!! Bill

8. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms

Now Randall Im think'n your on to somthin there... The grill grate tattoos are better than the nose rings!!! fixes the peck'n problem too!! Bill

Exactly. I know it's not for everyone, but when ya got a bunch of'em, that means "crowds". And with these little terrorists, they're like me......they just don't really do big thick crowds too well sometimes. But if I know for sure Ol' Butch over there is a trouble-maker on a routine basis, he's likely to be supper at any time. That's just the way I operate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by