Quail probably with injured head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aryaei2000, Jun 9, 2017.

1. aryaei2000

aryaei2000 Just Hatched

May 22, 2016
    Hi everyone :)

I have a flock of 16 Japanese quails. I keep them in 4 separate pens. In each pen there are 3 females with one male. They live on wire.
    Yesterday I noticed one of my females was sleeping all the time while she had fluffed up her feathers.
    When I poke her she wakes up and turns her head like when they are cleaning feathers of their chest and then goes to sleep! Every time I poke her she does the same thing. I put her in a separate cage alone. I tired to get her to drink some water.
    I had seen quail with injured head doing crazy things but this one seems very strange.

What should I do to her?
    Is it head injury or some other disease?

Thanks
    Mehdi

P.S. : The bird is not a newly introduced one. And none of my birds have been sick these days.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @aryaei2000 :frow Welcome To BYC

I don't know anything about quail. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

How old is your female?
    Photos of her and the poop may help others who assist you.

From your description, "sleeping all the time while she had fluffed up her feathers.
    When I poke her she wakes up and turns her head like when they are cleaning feathers of their chest and then goes to sleep!
    " My first inclination would be Coccidiosis or Ulcerative Enteritis. It's possible she may have suffered injury/trauma as well.

Here's a little info on quails I found, hope it helps:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-issues-and-keeping-your-quail-healthy.67379/

aryaei2000 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by