quail questions

TNHunter

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
East TN
As a young boy we used to raise quail for training our bird dogs and we would release them and they would recall back to the "johnny house". I no longer have bird dogs because of the lack of wild birds to hunt and I miss eating quail meat. I would like to raise some quail but, I don't want to eat birds that have been entirely fed a diet of feed. I'd like to have the birds released during the morning to feed on wild bugs and plants during the day and recall back to the pen at night. Now, I already know that I'll loose some due to predation but, we do have guardian dogs that keeps all our other "stock" safe so, I feel my losses won't be tremendous. My question.... I am going to put the "johnny house" inside of the chicken coop (14x14) and the quail opening will be within feet of the opening for the chickens so I assume that many quail will simply walk into the chicken coop. I will have perches high enough so that the chickens can't fly up to them and the quail can "escape" any grumpy hens. What could be the problem with quail and chickens in the same room? Caged or uncaged??? Thanks...

Quail and chickens should not be mixed. Chickens carry several diseases, many of which your chickens will never exhibit symptoms of, that can and will kill your quail. Chickens are also much larger than quail and can kill quail.

Quail require a completely different diet than chickens. Quail should not eat layer feed. It has far too much calcium for the male quail and will harm their kidneys.

So it would be best to keep these quail in their own quarters.

Last edited:
Quail and chickens should not be mixed. Chickens carry several diseases, many of which your chickens will never exhibit symptoms of, that can and will kill your quail. Chickens are also much larger than quail and can kill quail.
The above paragraph is beginning to sound like a broken record. TwoCrows, I'm beginning to think that you can type that in your sleep. I also get the feeling that nobody reads the sticky threads anymore... maybe there is a way to make this message a banner near the top of the page?

The above paragraph is beginning to sound like a broken record. TwoCrows, I'm beginning to think that you can type that in your sleep. I also get the feeling that nobody reads the sticky threads anymore... maybe there is a way to make this message a banner near the top of the page?
I couldn't agree with you more. You have no idea how many times I have written these words. LOL Sometimes this question comes up once a week. I try to ignore it, but I just don't have it in me. Folks need to know this information and I wish it was permanently stuck to the top of the quail forum page in red flashing lights!! LOL

Last edited:
And for what it's worth, I feel that before anyone posts a question, they should read the sticky threads. Seventy-five percent of what you reply to is already posted somewhere on this forum.

TNHunter~ I see that you haven't been on the BYC site much. If you didn't know, there is a "search" option that can be used to find answers to many questions that are frequently asked. If you type in key words (such as "quail and chickens") you may get information that you're looking for without having to post. Sometimes when the same question is asked a lot, people get tired of responding and your question goes unanswered. This is the best and fastest way to get information because you don't have to wait for someone to respond.
Also, the "sticky" at the top of each forum heading will give you direct links to the most requested information.
Good luck with your quail!

Back
Top Bottom