Quail vs chicken questions.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Riffecreek, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    O.K. with all the questions about quail and chickens together in the last week has got me thinking I need to do some major overhauling on my quail and game bird thinking!

I know better than put them together, and have at least 10-15 feet in between my closest chicken pen and my quail brooder. But I have a few questions as get geared up to start my new pens and building for some major production.. Production of 1000+ a year is what I'm shooting for in the next 2 years. I will be raising chukars, coturnix and bobwhite quail, and ring neck pheasants.

Everyone around here has chickens.. and with a "game" farm that raises modern game chickens (350 +) a year within throwing distance to the corner of my property. here is a few questions I'd like for someone to answer!

I was planning on using flight pens for pheasants and chukars with bird netting on top. How risky would this be with wild birds feeding with the chickens and then sitting on top of the pens and their dropping going into them?

I'm planning on all my Bobwhite quail and some chukars in a climate controlled building to produce eggs and chicks year round. How risky would it be to put the brooders in this building also??

And if you would like to add anything else that might cause a problem. I'm open to any opinions and feedback!! I'm sure I'll think of some more questions as I get some replies.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:BLEACH EVERYTHING OFTEN--- THATS THE BIGGEST HELP I HAVE FOUND YET. A 30 MINUTE SOAK IN 10% CHLORINE BLEACH SOLUTION WILL KILL NEARLY EVERY MICRO ORGANISM. TAKING INTO ACCOUNT OF YOUR GOALS/ PLANS I WOULD SAY NOWS THE TIME TO BUY STOCK IN A BLEACH MANUFACTURING FACILITY [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by