quail vs chickens

You can not free range quail and they are more flighty. I raised mine in low roof cages so they would not fly up and hit the roof and kill themselves.

how big do quail get. and if i was to get them can they be kept in a outside cage or can i make the like a big aviary for them through my woods with netting and tall grass and natural stuff?

how are pheasants ?

I would recomend reading as much as you can about gamebirds before investing. Some species of quail are very easy to raise some are very difficult. Cortunix and Bobwhite are pretty easy. I would start with Cortunix first instead of bobwhite. They can very well be kept outside in a cage....just be sure to provide plenty of water and food. You also have to feed gamebirds 20%-26% food. All gamebirds need SPACE...especially the wild species. I would start with quail before pheasants. Then work your way up. Anymore questions please ask!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Good start with the natural aviary talk!!

Quail vary in size depending on species, as do pheasants. Have you seen the species pages at gbwf.org yet?? We have all the pheasant species covered and all of the quail known to be kept in American aviculture covered as well.

Dan

When I raised some quail, I didn't find them particularly hard to hatch and raise up. They do have specific needs when it comes to housing. My quail escaped from the outdoor pens we had them in and sadly, we had no more quail.

DeAnna

Back
Top Bottom