Quail Waterer for Bantam babies??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sparrow, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I was just wondering if I should get one of those baby quail waterers for my bantams coming in this week, or if I should use a regular chick waterer and fill it with little colored stones so they can't drown. The quail waterer is probably too small for them, but I've never had Bantams before, so I have no idea how tiny they are.

2. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I have done both.
    It is your choice. If you chose to go with the regular chick waterer and use marbles or stones, then you have to take them out, and rinse them off every day when you change the water. It is a bit of a pain to do, but you shouldn't need to use the stones for more than a couple of weeks.
    The quail waterer will be big enough for the bantams to drink from for quite awhile.

Personally I like the quail waterer better, but if you don't want to buy both kinds of waterers, then I would go with the regular one and stones.

Jean

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks for the info! I think I will go pick up a quail waterer today. I expect them to be sooo tiny and don't want to worry about drowning.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I like using a regular gallon waterer. If you are worried they will drown, which I have never had happen, then you can put some clean rocks in the bottom of the waterer.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:I use the regular, and it is a bit of a pain to wash the stones every day. My bantams always do fine after the first week if I raise their waterer and take the marbles out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by