1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TheOLDNewChick, Apr 4, 2008.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Question! What's the point of quail? How hard are they to house / care for? I'm itching to hatch something else, and goose eggs seem like they'd make me throw myself off a bridge waiting on them, so I'm thinking... quail? Just wondering.

2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    It really depends on what type of quail you are thinking of getting. Quail have many purposes...meat..eggs..pets...hunting. They are relatively easy to care for in my opinion but need to be watched closely since they are soo small. Once I know what type of quail you are planning on raising I can help you more.
    Hope that helps!
    [​IMG]

3. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I've read some about the button quail... more information on this breed & others would be absolutely wonderful!

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Button quail are tiny, they now come in many colors, that is all I know about them. The coturnix aka japanese quail are common and cheap. They take 16-18 days to hatch, they start laying at 6 weeks old, and they are good pets. I like them, but some dont for some reason. The coturnix also grow fast and taste good if you want them for meat.

5. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Are the eggs edible? Do they taste good? Eggs, not the quail. I know the quail taste delicious.

6. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    You can eat quail eggs. I wouldnt eat Button quail eggs but I certainly plan to eat Cortunix eggs. I have Cortunix quail right now...and will be getting buttons soon.
    [​IMG]

7. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I might check into the Cortunix, then. So at least they'll be pulling their weight. About how much do they eat?

8. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    I raise coturnix and buttons. If i'm not hatching or selling the eggs we eat the coturnix eggs. I also have pickled the coturnix eggs and surprisingly I like them. Kinda tastes like deviled eggs in the pickle juice. When i have too many eggs I cook them both up (shells and all) and feed them back to the birds. They love it and its good for them. I have to save the button eggs for a few days to amount to much!

9. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i had about 15 quail they do not eat that much coturnix is a great bird i got the jumbo brown because when their peak egg production stops you still have meat [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by