Quails butt is bleeding

alisa2860

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2020
I’ve had this Japanese Coturnix quail for a few months and she’s been having problems a lot. Right now her butt is bleeding and I don’t know what to do, I just want to make sure she’ll be able to make it through this. Is there anything specific I should do to help her, I’m really worried.

I’ve had this Japanese Coturnix quail for a few months and she’s been having problems a lot. Right now her butt is bleeding and I don’t know what to do, I just want to make sure she’ll be able to make it through this. Is there anything specific I should do to help her, I’m really worried.
Also, I just wiped a warm cloth over her butt from other threads and I shined a light at her butt and there was something red I didn’t know what it was and suddenly it just went back into her body, I don’t know if that’s good or bad.

Also, I just wiped a warm cloth over her butt from other threads and I shined a light at her butt and there was something red I didn’t know what it was and suddenly it just went back into her body, I don’t know if that’s good or bad.
Sounds like she had a prolapsed vent. Basically when the inside of their butts come out which was most likely the red thing that you saw that went back in. They can go in by themselves sometimes but a lot of the time they can become a serious prosblem and will need assistance with getting it back. I don’t know anyone on here that has experience with prolapsed vents and I’m not experienced with prolapsed vents but I’m sure you could find something online about how to help her.

A prolapsed vent goes often together with eggbound.
I use a few drops oliveoil when pushing back the vent. This helps the egg flushing through.
Even if there is no eggbound, it keeps the vent more inside, while laying eggs.

Watch it often, as you may need pushing it back several times over several days, till it stays inside.
My quail has had some problems before but she always seems to get better, but she hasn’t been laying eggs for a while. I think that’s her problem, but if she is egg bound, does the egg have to come out to make her better? Is your quail okay now?

Eggbound can cause death. If the egg got stuck and get crushed it will probably get infected.

Try the oliveoil and keep her warm. It helped one my girls, some month ago.

Back
Top Bottom