Quails choose to stay out in rain and strong wind

pinkcloud_2001

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2020
We are in Ottawa, Ontario and have been bringing our quails out during daytime and bringing them back in to the garage at nights. We have decided to leave them outside in the winter so we've fenced an area and put a coop in for them to shelter when it rains, snows or is drafty. However, the quails chose to stay outside of the coop when temperature went down below 0 Celcius last night (felt like -9 Celcius) and again stay outside when it is windy and raining today (my hands were numbed without gloves). It's been 3 days and they mostly stay out of the coop.

Does it mean they don't like the coop? Is that safe for them to stay out in that harsh weather? Should we bring them back to the garage for the winter?

Thanks for reading!

Quail generally don't do coops. Give them small hides and they'll be far more likely to get out of the elements. I use small boxes for mine.
Thanks! How small are your boxes? I do not get it yet what differences they are between coop and small box from a quail's perspectives? Mine is not really a coop though, more like a dog house.

Thanks! How small are your boxes? I do not get it yet what differences they are between coop and small box from a quail's perspectives? Mine is not really a coop though, more like a dog house.
Ah. I was thinking something that they had to fly or climb a ramp to. If it's just a box, they should use it when the weather gets bad. The boxes I uses are big enough for 2-3 quail if they cuddle. They seem to like small shelters.

Ah. I was thinking something that they had to fly or climb a ramp to. If it's just a box, they should use it when the weather gets bad. The boxes I uses are big enough for 2-3 quail if they cuddle. They seem to like small shelters.
I ended up locking them up in the coop that rainy and windy night and they seem to be more comfortable with it now, going in and out more often, but still spend more time outside. Will see :):). Thanks for your inputs.

Back
Top Bottom