Quails eggs still in winter?

Melody102

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,
So I’m located in southern Ontario Canada and we are well into winter and freezing temperatures. (Snow all over) I have read that quail stop laying in the winter because of the change in light and that adding light keeps up production. I did -not- added any light because I also read it reduces their life span :( and I’d rather have the little ones around for longer than endless eggs.

This is where it’s odd, I had a point in September where they clearly went through molting and got much fluffier, here their eggs reduced but then it went right back up. Now end December and regular temps of -2 to -8 (with some nice days of a high of +4) and I am somehow happy I’m getting 1 egg per lady a day but worried they will have worse life expectancy. Is there some way to discourage them laying? Should I be worried? Is this just a weirdly good thing?

It just means they're getting enough light. Don't worry, I've got a group of 6 (5 gals and a boytoy) and they're takibgbturns giving me an egg a day. I've also got 3 single ladies and they've given jack since around october. There only about 3 months difference in them.

They are likely getting enough light from somewhere. You can put up a light blocker, like a feed bag maybe.
Quail have a pretty short life expectancy, fyi.

It just means they're getting enough light. Don't worry, I've got a group of 6 (5 gals and a boytoy) and they're takibgbturns giving me an egg a day. I've also got 3 single ladies and they've given jack since around october. There only about 3 months difference in them.
Ok thank you! That makes me feel better that they just sometimes keep laying.

They are likely getting enough light from somewhere. You can put up a light blocker, like a feed bag maybe.
Quail have a pretty short life expectancy, fyi.
I know :( I’ve read around 2 years but I’d rather the full two years than just like one year. They are cute. And ok, I wonder if it might be residual street light, their coop is facing away from the lights (has a solid back wall) but maybe they are still getting more light from that

Two of them were still laying, but then I've realized they are to close to my window lights💡. They also wake up an hour before sunrise. I don't know why. I close the drapes now and they lay occasionally.
That’s cool! Thanks for the story, it got me thinking that maybe the street lights are the problem, so I might try out fishychix suggestion of a feed bag to cover up the coop some more.

I know :( I’ve read around 2 years but I’d rather the full two years than just like one year. They are cute. And ok, I wonder if it might be residual street light, their coop is facing away from the lights (has a solid back wall) but maybe they are still getting more light from that
Mine are under my deck and you’d think theres plenty of light as its not enclosed, but I haven't had an egg since November 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Mine are under my deck and you’d think theres plenty of light as its not enclosed, but I haven't had an egg since November 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
What can I say. Those two that are still laying were a late hatch. They started laying on October and we still have an excellent weather (9-14C). It's like spring with sunny days. I'm in a quiet place with a few street lights and the older ones stopped layng since late September I think. (Are you sure they live only two years? I thought they can make even 4. I'm new to this. A covid rookie!)

What can I say. Those two that are still laying were a late hatch. They started laying on October and we still have an excellent weather (9-14C). It's like spring with sunny days. I'm in a quiet place with a few street lights and the older ones stopped layng since late September I think. (Are you sure they live only two years? I thought they can make even 4. I'm new to this. A covid rookie!)
2 is average. Some can live longer

Back
Top Bottom