quails legs not working after heat?

sammit

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
i was given a coturnix two days ago after we had a very large heat spike (3 days of temps in the high 40C). according to the woman i got her off, she was fine on the days leading up but then the heat came and she forgot how to walk? shes been in a seperate pen inside my house with her own fan and water with electrolytes and shes coming good but when i got her, she couldnt stand. she had strength in her legs but she was very weak and when she tried to walk, her legs would go out from under her. now she can stand and walk but its like theres something wrong in her brain between where her feet should be and where they actually are?

has anyone ever encountered this before?

The bird could have boinked her head on the ceiling. This sounds like it could be neurological. I doubt greatly that it has anything to do with heat or cold. The bird probably got scared in the night and flew up into the ceiling. Many times these things heal, and sometimes not. The best thing you can do is keep this bird warm. So add a heat lamp. It will help with circulation. Add some vitamins to the water or food. Especially vitamin B. Rooster Booster makes a good Vitamin B, A, D mix. Keep the food and water right up close to the bird so it can get food. If you keep it in a small cage, you can sprinkle food all around her. Keep the water right there as well. You can dip her beak in the water as well for water too.

Even if she did not boink her head on the ceiling and it is something else, the heat will definitely help her condition, along with the vitamins.

Hope she heals soon.

Does she stagger and fall over to one side every time you pick her up and set her down on her feet? Is she attempting to walk on her own?

Usually when they "lose their legs" its neurological due to lack of water. Not that you didn't provide water, just they for some dumb reason choose not to access it leading to dehydration. If it boinked there will usually be some mussed feathers about its head.

no feathers missing. i didnt have the bird when it went odd, i was given it AFTER it went weird. its walking around quite well today minus the fact that it keeps stepping on its own feet and tripping over.

she doesnt stagger and fall, she runs away but when she stands still you can see her begin to wiggle and then she sits down on her knees. when i first got her, she would try to walk on her knees and then would just fall over backwards.

its summer where i am right now, more heat would kill her but i will keep it in mind if i ever need it. its 30C by 10am here most days.

Back
Top Bottom