quails light bulbs red or white which kind to use?

MckinneyTXBYC

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Our red bulb just went out in the brooder keeping our 5day old quails.
We replace it with just a regular 60watt light bulb.
Will this be fine or should be buy something different?
I know with chickens that red is best but not sure about quails.
Thanks

It is highly recommended to use red bulbs with quail. Quail can be stressed more easily and pick on each other more than chickens. White light excites quail more. See if you can find an infra red bulb or a reptile red bulb. These light spectrum bulbs will not disturb the sleep cycles.

Yep on our chicks we always used the red light bulb.
So funny we had 2 red light bulbs we got this year burn out on us.
So far the white light isn't really bothering the quails too much yet.
I will keep a eye on it and see how it works out next few days.
Thanks for your replies.

A couple weeks age my 100 Jumbo brns and A&M were 10 days old..Weather was so hot 95ish mid/high70s nite.They were feathered out 80/90/%.So I moved them out to big quail land all the no nos.Put on 1/2 in hardware cloth gave them 25 w red lite to each group.Put lite on at pre-dark and off when I got out there.Everything was fine and still is ,The only thing that i ran into that surprised me was the other nite was Gradv for JESSICA and I forgot the lite so About 10ish I went out and with my flashlight pointed at ground <They say red lite don't affect them .I was there they were calm and I was talking to them.I turned on one red 25w and bonkers they went. Then lite cage #2 bonkers too.Just something I noticed!!And like some one said I've used Red Green White and have had little problem .But if Picking is a problem more room .,,more protein and or Red light... cva34

By the way there almost 4weeks old also now

What are you doing with all that cool weather? You should be getting a cool breeze off the Gulf. Here in Gonzales it"s about 97 Plus. I'm using my 52 inch fan in my breeder pen, (enough said catch you later) JIM

Red lights are as good as it gets, and does camo blood when it comes to "light to see" or....in my case, heat lamps. BUT, unless your chicks are confinded to total darkness, and depend on artificial light to see or for warmth (or both) and provided strictly red lighting......a red light is not worth a hoot if they have natural daylight available during daylight hours. In my opinion, they'll save their aggression from the night before till "daylight"..........and then the blood will likely be shed in big amounts if a hint of blood is seen on any chick by one or all the rest.......At least on this big ol' hill with my Bob-Hellians.....
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom