Quaker Oatmeal???

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
Is It ok to feed my hen some quaker oatmeal? Cooked of dry? Any pro and or cons of feeding it? Ran out of feed and will get some on Wed. Is it ok for temporary?

Yes, you can feed it to them plain or slightly wet, or cook it and put some yogurt in for protein.

If you do wet the oats, don't leave them out for more than a day. Clean out what they do not eat and replace with fresh.

Any sort of kitchen scraps will also help while you are waiting for feed.

I mix some of the oats with a bit of flax seed and some bran flakes, maybe add some chick starter crumbles or some red pepper flakes. On occasion I even add a bit of DE. It depends on what I am feeding it for and to whom as to what I add but the chickens all love it and like the variety of treats I add to it.
I have even put in some bird seed but I always wet it and mix well. They go bonkers over it where as they never will eat Cheerios like other people say their chickens love them.
Oatmeal is a standard on our shelves in the coop area, as is DE and red pepper flakes and the flax seed and bird seed.

Quote:
Quote:
I used to treat my birds with Quaker Oats, but Now I do the same as picklespickles, I get a bag now and then at my local feed store. I give it to them dry but have wet it and given it to them that way too. If you have vegie scraps you can give them to your birds also. I don't give them potatoe peals, but they get about everything else.

Last edited:
I was told that hot peppers will start you chickens laying again if they're on strike. I believe it was hot peppers and garlic or yogurt can't quite remember. Haven't tried it yet though.

Back
Top Bottom