1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quality from hatchery?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cornychick, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I have ordered a few Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and would like to know if anyone has input on the quality of these birds they have received in the past.

2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I haven't bought any from a hatchery but I have seen several replys from people that weren't too thrilled with thier mcmurray BLRW. These are on my someday list so that is why I remembered the responces about the mcmurray birds.

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    If by quality you imply that they remotely fit the standard for the breed, no you will not find that in a large hatchery. If by quality you mean birds that have some lacing and lay eggs but in terms of body type are not even close. Yep they got tons of them.

If you want to find something close to the standard there are a number of folks on this board that sell hatching eggs.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I got them from McMurry, yuck, the color was off and it took them 3 trys to get them to me alive, they also say they don't sex but I got 70% boys

5. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Yikes. Well, I only ordered 5 so I could meet my minimum order and I thought they would be a nice bird to have. Won't do that again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by