Quality of Ringneck Pheasant

MissD'uccle

Cluck of My Life
10 Years
Dec 16, 2009
Elba Twp, MI
Hello all! I have a male ringneck pheasant that I raised this year (along with 5 ringneck girls) and was wondering if he was good enough quality to breed or if I should try to find a better one. As these are my first pheasants I'm not too experienced with what they are "supposed" to look like. Thanks all!

45838_2010-10-20_15-18-00_116.jpg

Thanks all, yes his beak is correct, he must be making a funny face in that pic ...didn't notice it until ya mentioned it!
big_smile.png
Yes there are some red goldens in there that were all raised together until their pen gets finished (hopefully this week!)

Will his red "mask" get larger as he ages? He is still somewhat young now (got them mid June as hatchlings). Some of the pictures I see show a much larger mask. Is a small or large mask indicitive of anything?

Thanks so much for the input! Love to learn about these guys, they are so neat. This male is actually very curious and will come up to me to get mealworms. I adore him.

MissD'uccle :

Hello all! I have a male ringneck pheasant that I raised this year (along with 5 ringneck girls) and was wondering if he was good enough quality to breed or if I should try to find a better one. As these are my first pheasants I'm not too experienced with what they are "supposed" to look like. Thanks all!

As far as "American Ringnecks" are concerned, you've got a good looking bird!! I say that noting that nearly every "Ringneck" in America is blend of several subspecies. There are only a handful (if that many) left that are breeding the pure strains.

There will be a book published soon all about True Pheasants and their status.

Dan​

Back
Top Bottom