Quality rooster

ShaylaFox

Songster
6 Years
Jul 5, 2014
Arkansas
This is my first chance to breed and hatching my own chicks, as well as, free range. Are there any management practices I can do to ensure I have a protective rooster? I know part of it is instinct. I will be raising purebreds so I can’t just buy a proven rooster. Are there things I can look for, in a young chick, to help determine if he’ll be a good rooster.

What breed do you have?
Cockerels are interesting to raise, and it takes time for them to develop into who they are going to be. Things to consider in breeding stock include issues that just having any breed rooster won't include.
Eliminate any who have physical defects, and for purebreds, who don't fit into the breed standards.
Human aggression can show up as early as eight weeks of age (had one like that here!) and has no place in the gene pool.
Keep possibles as long as you can, because behaviors will appear as they sexually mature, and you want polite individuals, both towards humans, and flockmates.
Raise as many chicks as you can, so you have lots of choices, and keep two boys if possible, not only one. Be ready to decide nobody should be kept, if that's how it works out!
Mary

What breed do you have?
Cockerels are interesting to raise, and it takes time for them to develop into who they are going to be. Things to consider in breeding stock include issues that just having any breed rooster won't include.
Eliminate any who have physical defects, and for purebreds, who don't fit into the breed standards.
Human aggression can show up as early as eight weeks of age (had one like that here!) and has no place in the gene pool.
Keep possibles as long as you can, because behaviors will appear as they sexually mature, and you want polite individuals, both towards humans, and flockmates.
Raise as many chicks as you can, so you have lots of choices, and keep two boys if possible, not only one. Be ready to decide nobody should be kept, if that's how it works out!
Mary
I will be raising lavender Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, Silver Wyandottes, Golden Wyatndottes, and Polish....so far. We went a little over board... These will all be housed separate and turned out one breed at a time// roosters kept separate//in separate electric netting runs. I haven’t decided. I do realize that a more docile breed, such as an Orpington, might not be as “macho” as say a RIR. I SO DON’T want human aggression 😂 What I am hoping for is predictor protection, which is why I posted this thread here. I want one to call when they see danger and to over all protect. I know it may seem silly, allowing high dollar birds to free roam, but I also want them happy. Mine seem most happiest when they get to chase grasshoppers and scratch through leaves. They are all together as of now because they’re not sexually mature or laying.

You do have lots of projects!
Most adult roosters do try, and cockerels develop skills over time. Actual predator protection is different from warning calls, and roosters and cockerels die as easily as hens and pullets, sadly. Here we keep two males with every breeding group, so loosing one doesn't wipe it out for that year. They will be good for alerting everyone, that seems to be something very hard wired, and unfortunately, everyone gets better at it after a disaster.
Mary

You do have lots of projects!
Most adult roosters do try, and cockerels develop skills over time. Actual predator protection is different from warning calls, and roosters and cockerels die as easily as hens and pullets, sadly. Here we keep two males with every breeding group, so loosing one doesn't wipe it out for that year. They will be good for alerting everyone, that seems to be something very hard wired, and unfortunately, everyone gets better at it after a disaster.
Mary
I think it would be silly only keeping one rooster. I appreciate your advice!

Back
Top Bottom