Quals who make the Great escape

Discussion in 'Quail' started by magsrags, Oct 28, 2009.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    It might be a silly question to ask.......I just thought of it now.

I live in Southern NY. If one of my A&M Texas quails accidently get loose ......will they be OK in NY weather and find shelter.... or will they head off for a warmer climate? I'd hate to think they couldn't make do on their own if they managed to escape me outside when they are older. I do live next to protected bird sanctuaries and marsh lands, woods. I just wouldn't want to worry about them supposing the worse happened.

2. fitzy

fitzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    manhattan, ks
    hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they most likely wouldn't make it through the night...they simply aren't conditioned.

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    And make sure an escapee isn't an "unathorized release" which'll get you into more trouble.

4. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:[​IMG]....Not me...I couldn't sleep with myself letting something conveniently "loose" after assuming responsibility for it! [​IMG]

I can't wait to pickle us eggs besides.

They make the funniest little sounds. I am enjoying mine.

5. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:Thanks, I didn't think it would be a happy ending for them. I think I'll clip their wings when they are older to make sure they stay put.

6. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] The A&M's are easy to catch. I have one a week jump out and they don't get 2 feet. They dont really fly.

7. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:That's even better to hear![​IMG] My yard is entirely fenced in but not fly proof.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have caught mine a couple days after they got loose (not A&M's just the regular corturnix).

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yeah they are not hard to catch as long as you dont have prickly bushes for them to get into. there have also been several threads where escapies came back the next day, even several days later they go back to their pens or close to where their friends are. Now my escapies are a different story the ones in my outdoor pens get caught by my cat before I can even turn around. I loose some here and there because of it, but he is fast and they dont even have a chance to suffer. Cant really blame im they are delishis. [​IMG]

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Clipping Sux---- Pinion Them And Be Done With It!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by