Quantity of eggs vs number of hens

HomesteadRob

Chirping
May 11, 2022
Homestead MT
I don’t know that it’s a problem…. I have 15 laying hens, Buff Orpingtons, and for the last 2 days they have produced 14 eggs. Is this unusual, or should I expect it to be the norm?

It's normal that chickens won't give you 100% so don't worry. I used to bet 10 eggs a day from my 10 chickens and it's now going down to 8-6 eggs day sometimes more sometimes. I would not worry unless one your girls looks sick.
Ah, I didn’t clarify. 14 for each of the 2 days. I didn’t think Orpingtons laid that often

Orpingtons are one of the higher production egg layers. Mine lay about 6 eggs/week, but it is somewhat variable. 14/15 isn't unreasonable for hens in their prime laying phase, but don't expect that every day.

Edit:
And not in winter when they shut down laying during low-light days. Since I value home-produced eggs, I use water glass preservation during the heavy spring production to save for winter. If you are interested in that, search for "water glass" and you'll find multiple threads discussing it.

Last edited:
Orpingtons are one of the higher production egg layers. Mine lay about 6 eggs/week, but it is somewhat variable. 14/15 isn't unreasonable for hens in their prime laying phase, but don't expect that every day.

Edit:
And not in winter when they shut down laying during low-light days. Since I value home-produced eggs, I use water glass preservation during the heavy spring production to save for winter. If you are interested in that, search for "water glass" and you'll find multiple threads discussing it.
Thanks. I have heard about “glassing” eggs. Think I will give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom