1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quarantine & Fig trees

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WalkerH, Sep 30, 2011.

1. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

So I am probably going to a get a couple more chickens at a poultry swap coming up. The place I am going to quarantine them is an unused dog run with a six foot wooden privacy fence. I'll probably only get two or three pullets. The area is about six feet by twelve feet, but have river rocks on the ground, so no grass. Over the run are fig tree branches that start around seven or eight feet, they don't touch the fence so I'm just guessing. I trimmed all the ones that were inside to over the fence. Although the still have shade. My questions are whether fig leaves are poisonous for chickens and what can I do to make sure they aren't bored since they won't be free ranging?

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Pretty certain fig bushes are safe for chickens. Mine scratch around the fig bush & peck at it-- never a problem. Get a suet feeder for wild birds (they're cheap) & fill with yummy treats like cabbage leaves or other fresh fruits/veggies. Gives 'em something to peck at.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have several extra large fig trees just outside my coop doors. Chickens learned real early how wonderful figs taste and my younger birds like to sit up in the fig trees and nibble at the leaves when all the figs are gone.

They're fine. Sometimes runny poo if they overindulge, but fine.

4. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay I'm glad that you guys know. Yeah I give them the uneaten figs or ones that are a little more ripe then I would eat, since they are a lot. I was just unsure about the leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by