Quarantine for new pullets

Sandra R

Hatching
Feb 11, 2022
I am ordering 6 new 19 week old pullets from Freys Hatchery shortly. Do I need to quarantine them from my existing flock? If so, how long? Also, pick up date is April 1, so it will be quite cold here still (southern Ontario). Would they be okay in a chicken tractor? No coop? During quarantine?
If quarantine is necessary, how does everyone else do this with full sized pullets? Do you have a place for them to lay? Would they lay in the quarantine stage? Do I need to build a shelter with nesting boxes? Thank you for your help!

I am ordering 6 new 19 week old pullets from Freys Hatchery shortly. Do I need to quarantine them from my existing flock? If so, how long? Also, pick up date is April 1, so it will be quite cold here still (southern Ontario). Would they be okay in a chicken tractor? No coop? During quarantine?
If quarantine is necessary, how does everyone else do this with full sized pullets? Do you have a place for them to lay? Would they lay in the quarantine stage? Do I need to build a shelter with nesting boxes? Thank you for your help!
You want to quarantine there poop too . make sure the other chickens aren't getting in the left over . I like to quarantine a week on 1 animal so for 6 I would suggest almost 21 days especially from a hatchery I bought 1 year from Hoover and my whole flock died in a week

It is hard to properly quarantine, nearly impossible in a true back yard set up. And if you don't do it properly, there really is no point in doing it at all. Some people think that if you just keep them separate, that is enough, but it is not. A lot of diseases can transfer on the wind.

If you have a truly valuable flock, or if you would go into a state of decline with an illness, then you probably should not add birds to your flock, but rather add day old chicks. They are thought to be very clean.

If you are getting older birds - do NOT take anything you are sorry for. The birds you take should be healthy, active, bright eyed and eating/ laying. If they are not, do not take them home.

Mrs K

A similar keeper to you, down the road, I have had very good luck with. People who buy day old chicks, do not have other flocks near by, that are well cared for, should be as healthy as mine. I would imagine a hatchery to also be very safe.

What makes my blood run cold, is birds picked up at an auction, or swap. Who knows what they have been exposed to? Another place - does the person go to fairs, or competitions? That is another place for illness to spread.

But I too, would expect the hatchery birds to be safe, but I am comfortable with the risk of my rather small flock. It would be a disappointment, )and while I have never lost due to disease, I have lost due to predators, ) and I have had to start over. I have added adult birds numerous times without issue (knock on wood).

If I was getting them, I would not worry about about quarantine, but rather be figuring out integration, a whole other issue.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom