Quarantine question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mi2bugz, Jan 1, 2014.

1. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    I have read through posts and the article on introducing new chickens. To quote the article:

"Quarantine advice from BYC Member "Speckledhen" (the Quarantine Queen):
    I've seen so many people who have bought new birds, and because they seem healthy, immediately throw them in with their flock. You MUST quarantine newly purchased birds unless you have bought chicks from a hatchery."

We bought chicks from one local lady who gets them from the same hatchery time after time. Our chickens are now 16 weeks old and we would like to add 2 more. We would like to get 2 more that are about the same size but younger. Do we still need to quarantine if they are from the same hatchery, same lady and about same size? I know we still need to follow introduction precautions regardless.

~ Nicole

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hi, just because the first batch was healthy doesnt mean the rest will be. always quarantine. i lost a few like this.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I don't think you need to, but to be on the safe side I would still quarantine them.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you'd be absolutely devastated if your current chickens died, quarantine. If you'd just shrug, and buy new birds and try again, give it a try.

1 person likes this.
  5. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Great advice. Guess I will be quarantining. Thank you all!

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    A lot of people pretend to quarantine. To truly quarantine requires a separation that most backyard operations do not have space for or the set up for. To properly quarantine, one must separate the birds by a great deal of space...... I think 300 feet. Have completely separate set ups as to coup/run, feed and water. The person or people caring for the birds need to at least change their shoes between the two set ups, and a complete change of clothes is recommended if you are handling your birds that day.

If you are only able to separate your birds by adding a partition to your current set up, and they are breathing the same air so to speak, you are not quarantining.

If you can't properly quarantine, then you have two choices, choose very carefully birds whose current setup you can see. Examine the birds carefully and do not take anything that is sick, or weak or you feel sorry for. Generally speaking, healthy birds look and act healthy with bright feathers, clear eyes and dry noses. However it is a real risk to the current flock. If you are uncomfortable with that risk, do not add new full grown birds.

Mrs K

7. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    I am starting to think its easier to add chickens by hatching them out ourselves lol. I know have to keep smaller ones away from bigger ones but they can at least breathe the same air and not have a true quarantine. Thanks for everyone's insight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by