Quarantine question

maggiemo

Songster
7 Years
Sep 1, 2012
Front Range Colorado
I have had birds for 3 years now. When I got my first flock I added 4 pullets and didn't quarantine and sure enough some of my birds got sick with respiratory problems. I took my birds to the CSU veterinary services and they did tests, all the test they do for NPIP, and found out, basically the new birds gave my birds a cold. My birds got better and all was well. No birds were carriers of anything, all the tests were negative.
I have only added hatchery chicks to my flock since.

This spring I raised several chicks and gave some to a friend last month. My friend has had some personal problems and needs to get rid of her flock. I think I want to take a few of the birds back.

Here is my question, it might be a dumb question; can I just take the birds to CSU and have them tested and worm them and treat them for mites and, if they pass all the tests can I skip quarantine?
The tests were $43. I would love to skip quarantine and KNOW if the birds have anything, or not.

Thanks for any thoughts.
mo

If you have the birds tested, and they are free of any illness, I see no reason why you would have to quarantine them. Quarantining is usually used when you're not sure if there are hidden sicknesses/problems, as a precautionary measure. Assuming the tests are accurate, testing should rule out the need to quarantine.

You stated that CSU tested your birds and the new birds gave your "old" birds a cold. Exactly what was the name of the "cold?" You see, chickens don't get colds, they get a specific disease. Your birds may have a mild strain of something like Infectious Bronchitis (IB) for example. You as the owner, may never even know a mild strain of IB has passed through your flock, perhaps you might've heard a few sneezes and that's it, and never thought nothing of it.
Here's a list of poultry respiratory diseases for you to refer to: Please read about Infectious Bronchitis (IB) and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Hey Dawg,
I am so glad you are replying to this. Sorry I wasn't clear;
No tests that they did were ever positive so we never knew what made them sick. Because my birds started getting better after 3 or 4 day they (CSU) said they wouldn't worry about more tests.
My flock tested negative for;

MG
avian influenzia
avian para myxovirus
m synovia
gallibacterium
streptococcus non haemolyic (sp?)

It seems to me, even if I do quarantine them I should run the tests on the new memebers and maybe some of my flock. It has been almost 3 years.

Thanks for reading this.
mo

Hey Dawg,
I am so glad you are replying to this. Sorry I wasn't clear;
No tests that they did were ever positive so we never knew what made them sick. Because my birds started getting better after 3 or 4 day they (CSU) said they wouldn't worry about more tests.
My flock tested negative for;

MG
avian influenzia
avian para myxovirus
m synovia
gallibacterium
streptococcus non haemolyic (sp?)

It seems to me, even if I do quarantine them I should run the tests on the new memebers and maybe some of my flock. It has been almost 3 years.

Thanks for reading this.
mo
Okay, no problem. Maybe it was something fungal that was introduced somehow. It would be a good idea to get your birds that you gave your friend tested or her birds tested (whichever) because you don't know if her birds have passed something to the birds you originally gave her. No need to put your existing flock at risk. It would be $43 well spent IMO. If the birds are "clean," I see no reason to quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom