Quarantine?

LavenderCrow

Songster
7 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Tennessee
Hello! As of last week, I bought some wonderful little D'anvers. They are doing wonderful and everything is running smoothly. However, even though I told myself that I would wait until they grow out of the brooder because I have a very small house, I bought some Lavender Orps today. I just couldn't resist! (Chickens are like potato chips...) I AM quarantining them, and will wait to introduce them as they're older than my chicks (just by a week, but they're huge!) that I purchased last week.

They have ALL had their shots/inoculations. None of my d'anvers have shown any sign of illness, and the breeder I bought my Orps from is very reputable and very serious about bird health. Same with the d'anvers.

Currently, I am keeping them in the same room, but in separate quarters (AKA, the orps are in the tub, the d'anvers are in a rubbermaid tote in the tub, but elevated by a cinder block.) Is this OK? How long should I wait before introducing them? Should I still quarantine them for longer than a month to see if there are any issues?

Technically, you should quarantine any but hatchery chicks -- but this may be an instancde when skipping it would be safe. Also, if they are in the same room, they really aren't quarantined, as many of the diseases are airborne.

Ah. I was worried about that not being "quarantined" enough. I still feel as if though I should wait a little, even if I know both groups are healthy. What about the bacteria that comes from being from two different flocks/areas? I'm still somewhat new to chicks... The last time I had them was in 5th grade and they were 4-H chicks. :) What about pecking, though? The orps are HUGE compared to my d'anvers, even if they're only a week older. I'm scared the poor things would be pecked to death.

I'd worry about the size difference also, especially in a crowded space as most brooders can be. I'm curious about the vaccinations; only Marek's is given to day-olds usually, and it takes three weeks for immunity to develop in the chicks. If both flocks were healthy, and the incubation was done safely, all should be well. Otherwise, not so much. Mary

I'm not sure exactly what they have had. I know the d'anvers were given multiple shots, because my breeder had just finished doing it when we arrived.

I keep my chicks in a playpen and when I got my newest ones, they all varied in age. I took the older ones and put them in one side and the younger in the other and used a TV stand glass shelf to divide the pen. That way they could see each other but not get to each other. That lasted a whole 3-4 days and the oldest chicks were standing on the food dish, which they moved, and jumping the glass. I was scared until I realized they just wanted to snuggle the new babies. So I removed the glass and they are all the best of friends. I even introduced 2 much younger chicks and they took right to tehm as well. So I have 3 9 week old black sex links, 3 6 1/2 week old easter eggers, and 2 2 1/2 week old barred rocks all in the same pen and they adore each other :) It all depneds on the birds, the amount you put together and how they are introduced, this worked great for me :)

Thanks! I actually had just put them in with each other about an hour or so ago, and no pecking yet. Both groups were incubator hatched and put directly into brooders. The Orpingtons weren't the oldest in the brooder at the time, and the breeder I got them from would add more chicks in as they hatched. (He was selling, hatching, and shipping chicks, so he had A LOT.) I'm still worried about not properly quarantining them, because it goes against the grain, but I've given them ACV water and will be picking up Sav-A-Chick shortly. They are all on medicated feed. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that everything will be O.K.

How long should I quarantine a new rooster from my flock of girls he's about a year and a half years old and my girls are just over year I just got him yesterday?

KBgirls, I always reccommend 30 day quarantine for any new chicken being added to your flock. That gives time for any illness they may be harboring to show up without exposing your flock. Just one sick chicken can wipe out an entire flock.

How long should I quarantine a new rooster from my flock of girls he's about a year and a half years old and my girls are just over year I just got him yesterday?

KBgirls, I always reccommend 30 day quarantine for any new chicken being added to your flock. That gives time for any illness they may be harboring to show up without exposing your flock. Just one sick chicken can wipe out an entire flock.

Thanks
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom