Quarantining Chickens

jdodd

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Indiana
I am about to get 4 to 6 chickens this weekend. I know the lady and have worked with her and her chickens before. Do I still need to quarantine the new girls or can I just use the time at there old place as a quarantine? We both live within 5 miles of each other and the flock is health. I understand quarantining chicken you don’t know but I am not sure about ones I do know. Also I really don’t have a place to quarantine 4-6 chickens that are already laying.

You still need to quarantine. Some diseases don't show signs unless the birds are stressed. Moving them can stress them out, and cause the disease to rear its ugly head. If you want to keep your flock healthy, you should quarantine any and all new birds.

Stress can bring on some sicknesses that are already in the bird. For most types of disease, it is transmitted when the bird shows physical symptoms. So, the move might stress them into having some get sick. So keep them separated for a few weeks till the new guys get use to you and their new home

I always quarantine new birds for anywhere from four to six weeks, no matter who I buy them from, and I encourage those who purchase birds from me to do so as well.

You just never know what stress will do. Be safe, quarantine.

Oops, I didn't see this post and just posted on your other topic about the importance of quarantine. It's a pain in the butt if you are unprepared. At least it was for us because we hadn't been doing it and didn't have preparations made. We had to do it on the fly as a very sick little $5 roo I brought home swiftly spread his bacterial infection to others. Everyone survived after nearly $700 in vet bills and antibiotics. I will never put birds in without a quarantine period and even then I would be nervous for awhile. I just didn't know any better and it cost us. Lesson learned!

Enjoy the newbies and how nice of you to give them a new home!

Mary

She has/had about 13 all different breeds but the other day her grandson let the chickens out without putting up their dogs. Well to say the least there was enough feathers to stuff a pillow. It was really sad. She decided that it was time to just get rid of some.

Last edited:
what would be the shortest amount of time you would quarantine? i just adopted a 5 mos. old polish and the only place i have to quarantine her is in my living room.as you can amagine even with cleaning her cage daily its not to pleasant smelling and i feel bad that she cant get exercise.

Back
Top Bottom