Quarantining coturnix quail

Lilyofsalen

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
I've read that before introducing new quail to a flock, the new arrivals should be quarantined. Is this always necessary? How long do they need to be quarantined? What are some common issues I should watch for when quarantining new arrivals? How much distance should be put between the quaratine pen and the main pen?

Furthermore, how do you introduce a large number of birds to a small flock without bloodshed?

I wouldn’t say it’s always necessary but I would always quarantine new birds even if I knew the person I got them from has a healthy flock. I quarantine for a minimum of 4 weeks and if I see any problems I reset the quarantine for another four weeks. For distance I would say a 20ft minimum but I have my quarantine coop in the garage so it’s in an entirely different room. Some things to watch for: abnormal poop, trouble breathing, discharge from the nose or eyes, trouble walking, not eating or drinking (though if this happens in the first few days it may be from stress of the move) and most importantly, if you’re not sure about something, it’s always safer to quarantine them for a little longer than just throw them in and hope for the best!

hope this helped!

Ok, thank you!

What are some medical supplies you keep on hand? I decided to do a ground coop so I know this will expose my birds to parasites and cocci. Would it be useful to keep some Corid on hand?

Back
Top Bottom