Quarantining Procedure/ New Lonely Peacock

My goodness -- too much drama! Did you say this person has 40 years of experience? Or 1 year of experience, 40 times? Somebody's been watching too many Alfred Hitchcock movies. Thank heavens you used your flogged noggin' and broke out the bumbershoot. If we culled every teenager with overactive hormones and confusion, both the human race and all peafowl species would be headed for extinction before Labor Day.

Can't think of any behavioral crisis in a peafowl which would call for immediate execution -- not like a rabid dog or skunk. And can't imagine why the perceived need to add another adult male would EVER be a crisis
lau.gif
Pretty sure both my two year-old hens concur completely in that one. Especially the little spalding hen, who still thinks boys are completely icky and up to no good.

Now as for quarantine, I just want to mention that having birds on opposite sides of 1/4" mesh isn't exactly keeping them from swapping germs. But at least it gives you a chance to worm and do preventative health care. I'm not clear on what your blackhead concerns are -- who is going to give what to whom in your situation -- but yes, it's always something to watch for, and can happen with OR without turkeys. Earthworms are quite adequate to provide it. Mainly you need to be sure he isn't carrying anything or incubating something that could make your birds sick. So watching and listening to see if he's coughing or sneezing, checking BoBo's poopoo, and observing his behavior for subtle signs of illness.

FWIW, it sounds like the urgency of the advice given was inversely proportional to the advisability of following it. That's sadly common, but a good clue for future analytics. Congrats on not drinking the kool-aid.

Oh yeah, and having two males is not gonna help everybody get along during breeding season -- do you happen to have two pens, I hope? Or a post-hole digger?

Good luck with your pretty boys!

A little back-story for you GP.

A fellow on BYC who we will call Peacockman created a FaceBook page called Peacocks Only and uses the name Doug Buffington on his FB page. If you search for BYC threads you will find a contentious exchange about his 'new' and rare White with Green Eye birds that he has developed. It was brought to light it is a common occurrence in the deep south that with the high humidity many peacocks will develop algae on their trains.

Being quite vain about his 'new discovery' anyone that disputes his claim will get banned from his FB page Peacocks Only. @zazouse and I are only a couple of the casualties from that fallout. Most recently Gerald also got the boot, anyone that contests his new discovery or his poor advice on worming are given the boot. So now Zaz has her own FB page that is by invitation only and the one that I tried to get both you and @DylansMom to come join when you convert over to the 'dark side'. It is a very friendly group of pea-peeps who share their love of peas and knowledge freely. It's all about learning and fun.

Thanks, @KsKingBee
highfive.gif

Ah, Facebook... I think I must be too old to learn that new trick
old.gif
Gosh, there are nice pea-people here on BYC, too!
clap.gif

Speaking of people, nice and otherwise... here's a couple of thoughts that come to mind:

"Just as tall trees are known by their shadows, good men are known by their enemies." Chinese proverb

"You can always judge a man by the character of his enemies." Oscar Wilde (He also said: "A man cannot be too careful in his choice of enemies.")

"I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made" Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"A man is known by the company he keeps." Which has been said and repeated by so many folks as to be apocryphal, even turning up in Aesop's Fables...

Now returning to my regularly scheduled morning duties...

A little back-story for you GP.

A fellow on BYC who we will call Peacockman created a FaceBook page called Peacocks Only and uses the name Doug Buffington on his FB page.  If you search for BYC threads you will find a contentious exchange about his 'new' and rare White with Green Eye birds that he has developed.  It was brought to light it is a common occurrence in the deep south that with the high humidity many peacocks will develop algae on their trains.

Being quite vain about his 'new discovery' anyone that disputes his claim will get banned from his FB page Peacocks Only.  @zazouse
 and I are only a couple of the casualties from that fallout.  Most recently Gerald also got the boot, anyone that contests his new discovery or his poor advice on worming are given the boot.  So now Zaz has her own FB page that is by invitation only and the one that I tried to get both you and @DylansMom to come join when you convert over to the 'dark side'.  It is a very friendly group of pea-peeps who share their love of peas and knowledge freely.  It's all about learning and fun.

I had know idea and thought I was helping a novice. Fresh boot print on my butt. Again, his sandbox, his rules, I get it, life is still good,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Thanks, @KsKingBee
:highfive:

Ah, Facebook...  I think I must be too old to learn that new trick :old    Gosh, there are nice pea-people here on BYC, too! :clap

Speaking of people, nice and otherwise...  here's a couple of thoughts that come to mind:

"Just as tall trees are known by their shadows, good men are known by their enemies."  Chinese proverb

"You can always judge a man by the character of his enemies."  Oscar Wilde  (He also said: "A man cannot be too careful in his choice of enemies.")

"I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made"  Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"You have enemies?  Good.  That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life."  Winston Churchill

"A man is known by the company he keeps."  Which has been said and repeated by so many folks as to be apocryphal, even turning up in Aesop's Fables...

Now returning to my regularly scheduled morning duties...

Oh! Oh! I love good quotes!

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
(a personal favorite)

Back
Top Bottom