Quarantining when starting a new flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pluto, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Pluto

Pluto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    A friend is ready to start populating her newly completed coop. If we go to a poultry show and get hens from a variety of sellers, do we have to quarantine them separately? How would you even do that? We are looking at getting around 10-12 hens, in a couple of breeds. The coop is 10x10, with a 10x12 run. They will eventually get free range during the day (once we are confident we can catch them, there are quite a few predators in the area).

Edited to clarify, there are currently no resident chickens.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    The only time i quarentine is when i bring new chickens into the flock so i'm not sure how or if you have to go thru all that seeing as this person doesn't have an existing flock. Otheriwse you would have to have lots of cages to lock them up in and keep them far far away from one and other.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

to actually quarantine them, once you buy them, you would have to bring them home in separate cars,,, and since they will probably be within a certain distance from each other at the auction,, its kinda already too late..

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Is she sure she really wants to get started this way? Is this her first time with chickens? If so, she should get all her hens from one flock/ breeder, otherwise there is going to be a heck of a pecking order mess when they all get put together (very stressful!). That is beyond the quarantine issue--can't imagine that at least one bird wouldn't get sick with all the acclimation problems. If she can't get all the birds from one flock, start with a few, build a quarantine coop, and a few over time. Or, best yet, start with chicks from a hatchery in all the breeds she desires, and raise them together.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    A friend

It's ok. You're with people who understand. You don't have to hide behind the "my friend" ruse. We get it.
    [​IMG]

I agree that it would be easier on the flock-to-be to all come from the same breeder. Ask around at the poultry show and find a breeder who is looking to sell off part of a flock.

Or get chicks from a hatchery. That's WAAAAAY more fun!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by