Query on Healthy Quail Weight

Soph_quail

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
I own a range of quail at a range of weights but I have one quail were slightly concerned about. She’s always been very small but we thought this was normal for her. However recently we noticed that her beak is looking overgrown and she appears to be quite low on the pecking order. It’s strange as she is clearly the males favourite due to the state of her feathers, however the other ladies tend to dominate over her around food. Tomorrow we are going to try giving her a separate food bowl away from the others to see if that will help but we weighed her today and she is 215g or about 7.5 ounces. we don’t have any record of her weight before this unfortunately but she does appear to be our lightest bird out of the ones we have weights for (some up to 13 ounces). She is genetically different from the heaviest birds however I’m just wondering if this weight is a cause for concern or if it is a perfectly normal weight? (Shes a Japanese). Thank you!

She's not out of range for a non-jumbo quail, but you would be better off feeling her keel. If it's very prominent, she's too thin. If you feel your larger, healthier birds, you'll have an idea of what it should feel like.

She's not out of range for a non-jumbo quail, but you would be better off feeling her keel. If it's very prominent, she's too thin. If you feel your larger, healthier birds, you'll have an idea of what it should feel like.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom