Question About 8 Week Old Pekin

Haunted55

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Central Maine
I have a male pekin with what looks like a blood blister on the left side of his bill. I first found it 3 weeks ago and because I had just moved these guys out into the duck house with my 13 week old mallards, I figured I'd watch it and see what happens. There had been a little bit of territorial disagreement, nothing too serious, bill grabing and tail grabbing.

Yesterday, I saw what may be a slight lump on the right side of his neck. It is just below where our jaw line would be. Swollen glands? Anyways I am hoping that someone might be able to help me out with this one. The duck doesn't act sick. Eats, drinks and gets around with the rest of his 'family' just fine. Does this sound like something I need to worry about and possibly remove him from the rest or is it a wait and see mystery ailment?

My gut feeling is that the minor bill injury has become infected. Ducks will hide illness until they are so sick it is difficult to help them. I don't want you to worry, but I want you to start looking into the next step of helping the duck out. I don't think it is contagious, just sometimes minor things become infected, and then can get into the bloodstream.

Do you have a vet? I would want to get the duck some antibiotics. I don't know if topical ointment would help, don't know where you could apply it that would go where it is needed. Do you have antibiotics on hand or experience using them?

Do not have a Vet in the area who handles birds of any kind. I have treated my chickens in the past with Duramycin and do have it on hand. Unfortunately this would require giving it to the rest of the ducks as well. The thing on the bill is blue colored just like a blood blister. I have no problem giving all of them the antibiotic, how many days do you think would do the trick? 5-7? I am new to ducks and am learning as I go along and have not been able to find anything that would cover this issue.

Thanks so much for responding!

Why would you have to give it to the whole flock if you didn't think it was a contagious thing? You have the same breeds as I do except my pekin is the older one. My mallards are only nine weeks old and so much smaller. I bet the pekin is as big as them even though they are smaller.

Sorry don't have any advice. I just want to wish your pekin a speedy recovery.

Do not have a Vet in the area who handles birds of any kind. I have treated my chickens in the past with Duramycin and do have it on hand. Unfortunately this would require giving it to the rest of the ducks as well. The thing on the bill is blue colored just like a blood blister. I have no problem giving all of them the antibiotic, how many days do you think would do the trick? 5-7? I am new to ducks and am learning as I go along and have not been able to find anything that would cover this issue.

Thanks so much for responding!
It may not be practical for you, but when one of mine needs medication, I either give it orally with a dropper or place the duck in its own area at least overnight (since prolonged isolation is not good for them, IMO). Then I don't have to medicate the flock unnecessarily.

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide a seperate housing space for him. As for the sizes, even though the mallards are older the pekins are turning into monsters. I think that I ended up with giant pekins instead of the regular ones. [ Now I need to get them a different feed before leg problems set in.]

As for the dosing, I would be using the 1tbls. per gallon of water. That is what Jeffers told me is the proper dosing for ducks, big or small. Same as for chickens. 5 days will not hurt them to the best of my knowledge and the lump on the bill is smaller today so it will mainly be a 'better safe than sorry' approach.

thank-you for the well wishes!

I can try it but the math involved trying to figure the dose is interesting and Duramycin doesn't keep well after 24 hrs.. As for the dropper.....we're not at the trusting stage yet, almost but not quite. It would be so much easier if I could give the poor bugger a pill wrapped in something.

Could you not get it in an area alone and maybe put it on a small bit of it's favorite treat? My ducks never finish off their water before I change it so I would have to either use the dropper or put it on their treat. Maybe just give it enough for a bite or two and just keep the other ducks back until it eats it. You could then offer the flock some treats to eat together

You may of already thought of this, but sometimes the simplest things slip my mind when I get stress.

Last edited:
You could give the injured duckling antibiotic injections. You may have to order them online, though. I know my local feed store doesn't carry what I've needed in the past and I've had to order it.

In fact, I just ordered a 20 mL bottle of Baytril from First State Vet Supply. I was very happy with them, too. The Baytril was backordered, so he overnighted it to me at no extra cost.

www.firststatevetsupply.com

I've found it extremely difficult to give ducks oral vitamins or meds. It could be because I haven't done it a lot, but I always am unsure how much I actually got into them. Oddly enough, I have a lot easier time giving my parrot meds than the ducks! It must be that broad bill that gets in the way. With an injection, the dose is very precise, you're only giving it to the birds that actually need it, and you know for sure that they are getting the correct amount.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom