Question about a broody hen

PhlyinPheBee

Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Northeast Louisiana
Should I put food and water by the hen while she is on the eggs? She is in a former rabbit hutch that she adopted as her roost. Being that she is a frizzle she cannot fly up with the others. I can lift the ramp and she can be alone. Would that be better?

I went and got her 4 RIR eggs to sit on and she has not moved. I just do not want her to no eat or drink.

Hens go into a mode of eating hardly anything when they brood. She'll get up off her nest only once in 24 hours to quickly drink, grab a bite to eat, poop, stretch her legs within 10 minutes then will run back to the nest and not move again for a day. Just trust her instincts and don't fret about it. She'll be fine. As long as when she does get up she has access to food and water, she'll take care of herself. I don't put food and water next to my broodies because the other chickens will come by and eat and pester her. Better that she goes to the regular food spot. Once the chickies hatch, then put food and water near her and them (after 21 days).

Last edited:
So I can shut the hutch up when the babies arrive?? I can do that. She is my favorite and first hen. This is why I drove a hour round trip to go get the 4 eggs.

I know I have fallen hard.

It's hard to answer that question because I don't fully understand your coop/hutch situation. But yes, for a little while the momma and chickies should be protected from the other chickens and given food and water they can easily reach. Many people keep a little "brooder pen" in or near their coop for this. Once my chicks get a little bigger (1-3 weeks) and can run and jump and fly I usually let mine out with the other chickens -- their momma still protects them, but they can scurry toward her if other chickens approach. When they're tiny they're just too vulnerable. But some folks keep them separated much longer until the chickies are bigger and fully feathered. sounds like fun!

Last edited:
It is a rabbit hutch that I bought from TSC last year. It has a ramp/door and the top lifts off.

Went out and took a pic.

24794_mvc-012s.jpg

Yup, that is perfect. I'd let it open while she broods (as long as she's protected from predators) and then close it for just a few days after the chickies hatch while they gain strength. Looks great!
Actually I had one broody turkey that I kept locked in a pen on her nest. She kinda got trained to get up off her nest to stretch her legs every morning when I fed the other birds. I had it timed so that I'd open her door first, then when she was done stretching, she'd hustle on back to her nest in the pen, and I'd shut the door for the day. I don't think chickens could be "trained" that way though. She was an exceptional gal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom